cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wolff010

Linux video driver questions

Hello!  I am working on a project that is developing a custom PCB for a video processing application.  The PCB includes an MPSoC and analog video decoder / encoder chips for performing ADC / DAC functions, with the parallel video data connected to HPIO banks on the MPSoC.  Inside the FPGA, we are planning to use the Video-In-to-AXI4S (PG043) and AXI4S-to-Video-Out (PG044) IP cores. I have a couple of questions about related Linux drivers:

1) Video input: I have previously used the V4L2 driver as part of the SDI and HDMI drivers, but I have not tried to use it directly with a standalone Video-In-to-AXI4S core.  Can the V4L2 driver be used directly with a standalone Video-In-to-AXI4S core?

2) Video output: I have previously used the DRM KMS driver as part of the DRM KMS SDI-TX driver.  The Wiki page for the former does not list AXI4S-to-Video-Out as a supported IP core.  Should I be able to use it in this mode?  Or could I hook up a Video Mixer to the AXI4S-to-Video-Out core, which then connects to HPIO pins?  The Video Mixer core is listed as a supported IP core for the DRM KMS driver.

Thank you very much in advance for your help with these questions!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hokim
Scholar
Scholar

Hi,

You can't control Video-In-to-AXI4S and  Video-In-to-AXI4S  because they have no axi-lite interface.

Your drivers have to control video timing controller(for video timing detection and generation), axi vdma(for video frame data transfer)

and dynamic clock ip(for clock of video timing)

0 Kudos