cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micrel PHY ksz9031 not working

I have added the entry of Micrel PHY in devicetree. on hardware the PHY address is 2 but when I add 0 in devicetree it gets detected and Link is up. I can self ping but cannot ping the other system in network. I have connected the board and my PC bith on static IP. still I am unable to ping my PC. My devicetree part looks as follow.

&gem0 {
    status = "okay";
    phy-mode = "rgmii-id";
    phy-handle = <&phy0>;

phy0: phy@7 {
        reg = <7>;
        compatible = "micrel,ksz9031";
               device_type = "ethernet-phy";
    };
};

Why is this happening when I have connected the PHY address to 2 on my hardware it is being deteced on 0 instead of 2. and why I am unable to ping my PC.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
milosoftware
Scholar
Scholar

Your devicetree puts it at ID=7, not 2.

ID 0 is a "broadcast" address, all PHYs respond to that.

0 Kudos

&gem0 {
    status = "okay";
    phy-mode = "rgmii-id";
    phy-handle = <&phy0>;

phy0: phy@2 {
        reg = <2>;
        compatible = "micrel,ksz9031";
               device_type = "ethernet-phy";
    };

This is my new devicetree but still the problem is same PHY does not respond to 2 address and responses to 0 address. PING is not working but self loop is working. For PHY address 2 in devicetree it states that PHY is missing.

0 Kudos
kvas
Visitor
Visitor

Does the ethernet work in 100 MBit mode? 

In order to get the ksz9031 running in GBit mode, I had to us modified fsbl_hook.c to configure the delay registers of the ksz9031

Note: Zynq on Enclustra ZX3 mars module, petalinux 2014.2

0 Kudos
milosoftware
Scholar
Scholar

When we integrated the 9031 on our boards I had to patch the kernel to make it work. The patch went into mainline, check that your kernel has it:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/9/11/547

I think without the patch, you could get it to work by unplugging and replugging the cable after starting the network.

0 Kudos

No the ethernet is not working in 100 Mbit mode. The phy is not getting detected. Thanks
0 Kudos
w.helsby@dl.ac.uk
Participant
Participant

I have been trying to use Linux 4.6.0

I have just found that the phy is detected correctly only if the compatible string is removed from the device tree entry.

Looking at the kernel is see why, but am not sure whether it is a stable fix into the future. I think it must be.

drivers/net/ethernet/cadence/macb.c : macb_mii_init looks for any nodes under the etherent node.

If there is a node caleed mdio, then anything under it is considered to see if is a phy.

Any other node directly under the ethernet node are considered to be added as a phy.

Either way uses 

drivers/of/of_mdio.c : of_mdiobus_register

This scans the child nodes to see if any are a phy using of_mdiobus_child_is_phy

This looks for various compatible strings compatible=”ethernet-phy-id%4x.%4x”

Then compatible = “ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c45” and Compatible="ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22"

It looks through a whitelist of strings like "marvell,88E1111"

Which the notes in the kernel say should be removed from device trees.

It also accepts nodes with no comaptible.

As far as I can tell, some part of the kernel will then read the device code (binary) from the phy my MDIO and check it against 

PHY_ID_KSZ9031  in drivers/net/phy/micrel.c

This may help generally, not just for micrel.

William.

bhushanladde01
Visitor
Visitor

which are the registers of ksz9031? I am facing an exact same problem.
0 Kudos