UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Microblaze Linux support for AXI PCIe RC is missing?

Jump to solution

Is where Linux driver available for LogiCORE IP AXI Bridge for PCI Root Complex (PCI host/PCI bridge)?

Datasheet DS820 says this core is supported by Linux, but in fact, its RC functionality can't be used in embdded Linux due to lack of the driver. Old PCI host bridge driver found in both mainline kernel and git.xilinx.com kernel doesn't seems to have any support for AXI PCIe RC.

Are any ready to use solutions exiests for this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Microblaze Linux support for AXI PCIe RC is missing?

Jump to solution
Sure, we're discussing that now and yes I think we can. We will mark it as a development driver and not released so there would not be any support from Xilinx on it yet.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Work is still going on for PCIe to make it work properly in a software system. We are debating about putting it into the tree as a development (not released) driver.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, John. That's good news.

Is it possible to get this (incomplete) driver now?

It should be better anyway than reinventing the wheel by myself from the scratch.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Sure, we're discussing that now and yes I think we can. We will mark it as a development driver and not released so there would not be any support from Xilinx on it yet.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Good! But how to get it?
Should I wait for it to appear in linux-xlnx.git, or its going to be available as separate download?
Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Now I can see the AXI PCIe RC driver for Microblaze in master-next of linux-xlnx.git.

Big thanks for the opportunity to have early access to this code!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Great! Let us know how it goes. The device tree generator repo was updated to help generate a device tree. Please remember this is not a released driver and I need to document that on the wiki. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
I'v tried it and, in short words, it works.
I'v got a minor headache with adding this code to mainline 3.4.4 kernel used in my project, but finally it worked. I'm getting some difficulties with MSI's and the ranges property generated by new device tree generator looks like a hack and angers kernel dts compiler, but in general that driver is good enough to use.

A question left: is it possible to use (emulate?) PCI IO resource with AXI PCIe RC? All bridge's AXIBAR's are of memory type by their nature and I'v failed to mimic one them as IO window - both with my own driver and with this one.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I asked the IP team about this and it sounds like you cannot do what you're asking.  I'm no expert on this so I don't have any insight myself.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

No problems, for me the IO resource is not mandatory.

Thanks John for your help and for making AXI PCIe RC driver available!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi

we have been facing problems with Axi pcie driver in our system as enumeration fails. Endpoint do gets detected  but device id and vendor id are same  for root-complex and endpoint.  I am using kernel version 3.8.0 from xilinx git. Have u done any change in driver source to make it usable. 

0 Kudos