Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwillis
Adventurer
Adventurer

More info on how Petalinux uses bsp and hdf files

Jump to solution

I am reading ug1144 (Ch3 Creating a Project) for Vivado/Petalinux 2018.2 and getting a bit lost there. There is a short mention of a tool flow at the start of the chapter but not a lot of details on the arguments. What I am trying to determine right now is how PetaLinux uses the Board BSP (zcu102 in this case) and a custom FPGA design's exported .hdf file, in particular:

1) Are they mutually exclusive, or must both be provided?

2) Which order are they added into the PetaLinux project?

Additional:

There seems to be a few alternate ways of making a Petalinux project and the document is not clear on the reason for each...

a) petalinux-create --type project --template <CPU_TYPE> --name <PROJECT_NAME>

- When is this option used (in what scenario)?

- Where is the BSP coming from?

- Is the hdf file replacing the BSP in this case?

b) petalinux-create -t project -s <path-to-bsp>

- When is this option used (in what scenario)?

- Can I add an .hdf file into the resulting project that is built, or does it have some other purpose?

- if the .hdf is not providing the BSP info, how is the zcu102-based BSP (Device Tree et al.) getting into the project?

Lots of questions here, hopefully some people have some answers to this and it can be of help to others.

Thanks

- Richard

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aravindb

Hi @rwillis

You can create a petalinux project using BSP when you use the xilinx Evaluation (zcu102 /zynq) boards  but not for  custom boards.

Please download the BSP files from this below links for all boards link:https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

if you configure with your HDF, it will be overwrite the BSP configurations with  your design configuration. 

You can create a petalinux project using template for custom boards, this is preferred way in order to avoid unnecessary conflicts. Even you can use for Evaluation boards also but not preferred way.

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aravindb

Hi @rwillis

You can create a petalinux project using BSP when you use the xilinx Evaluation (zcu102 /zynq) boards  but not for  custom boards.

Please download the BSP files from this below links for all boards link:https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

if you configure with your HDF, it will be overwrite the BSP configurations with  your design configuration. 

You can create a petalinux project using template for custom boards, this is preferred way in order to avoid unnecessary conflicts. Even you can use for Evaluation boards also but not preferred way.

Thanks & regards

Aravind

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
rwillis
Adventurer
Adventurer

If you are saying that the following tool flow:

1) petalinux-create -t project -s <path-to-bsp> (in my case: xilinx-zcu102-v2018.2-final.bsp)

2) petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<path to hdf file>

is a preferred method to integrating FPGA designs into Petalinux projects for an evaluation target (in this case a ZCU102) than I am fine with that and will resolve the ticket as completed.

Thanks 

- Richard

0 Kudos
rwillis
Adventurer
Adventurer

I did a quick test and confirmed that the hdf can be used on top of a project, created from a packaged BSP

(in my case, xilinx-zcu102-v2018.2-final.bsp)

Thanks for the reply, marking as resolved.

0 Kudos
jpeel@impinj.com
Observer
Observer

Just as a quick follow up question for those of us following along at home..

Did you import the .hdf file into the SDK tool and point the petalinux config to that directory, or just use the exported .hdf file ?

Jack

0 Kudos