Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rodrirq
Adventurer
Adventurer

My computer hangs while gnuradio do_compile

Jump to solution

Hello, I am trying to build petalinux with gnuradio, using meta-sdr.

The thing is that during petalinux-build, my computer freezes when it is doing gnuradio do_compile.

I have opened a new terminal in order to see if it was because of my RAM.

During the process, my memory decreases from 8 GB to 100 MB before crashing, so I think it has to be the problem.

Any ideas? Should I increase my RAM or is there another way? I read about increasing SWAP memory, but I have already 2 GB.

Anyways, my computer doesn't seem to use this memory, I have my swappiness at 10.

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rodrirq
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello, I have just tried reducing BB_NUMBER_THREADS and PARALLEL_MAKE just as explained on https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Petalinux-tool-limitate-MAX-number-of-processor/td-p/980396

It is compiling right now, so I cannot say if this worked for me.

I am working on a linux partition, but it uses all my CPU and it crashes. I have 8 processors. I have set BB_NUMBER_THREADS to 4 and PARALLEL_MAKE to 2, just to try it out.

If this works, I will set this as the answer. If you have a better idea regarding the number of threads and parallel makes, just let me know.

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
stephenm
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Is there a log file that you can share so we can see what the issue might be?

0 Kudos
rodrirq
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello @stephenm 

I looked at the build.log, but there is no info about the building process.

It might me because my computer hangs completely. My usage of CPU is 100% and memory 94%.

0 Kudos
stephenm
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It might me because my computer hangs completely. My usage of CPU is 100% and memory 94%.

This could be it. Can you try build this seperately

petalinux-build -c <component>

Are you using a Virtual Machine? How many CPUs have you allocated here. It could be a resource issue.

You can try reduce the BB_NUMBER_THREADS in your local.conf to match how many CPU you have available.

rodrirq
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello, I have just tried reducing BB_NUMBER_THREADS and PARALLEL_MAKE just as explained on https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Petalinux-tool-limitate-MAX-number-of-processor/td-p/980396

It is compiling right now, so I cannot say if this worked for me.

I am working on a linux partition, but it uses all my CPU and it crashes. I have 8 processors. I have set BB_NUMBER_THREADS to 4 and PARALLEL_MAKE to 2, just to try it out.

If this works, I will set this as the answer. If you have a better idea regarding the number of threads and parallel makes, just let me know.

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post