Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

No ethernet using PetaLinux 2013.10 ZC702 BSP, also build issues

Jump to solution

First off, host is RHEL 6.5 x86_64, with ISE 14.7, Vivado 2013.4, and PetaLinux 2013.10, for a ZC702 board.

We can run the BSP using boot over JTAG, and when it does ARP requests during boot no packets are seen from the host. Assigning manual IPs to both the board and the host does nothing, neither can ping the other. The UG873 build runs fine, the board gets an IP address with no issue and they can ping.

Another problem we're having is with trying to run a rebuild of the BSP. When trying to send that to the board PetaLinux comes back with no being able to detect the ARCH from the image. I have a log of the build attached, which was seemingly without error, and a log of trying to send the FPGA and boot image over JTAG.

If anyone has any clue it'd be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar
Regarding your first issue, the most likely cause is that the ethernet PHY isn't correctly configured (devicetree), or the appropriate PHY driver is not compiled into the kernel. You should be able to compare kernel boot messages between the UG873 and your own kernel, see where the difference lies.

I'm not too familiar with the second issue - but the "Cannot determine ARCH" message makes sense for a zImage format kernel. This is just a compressed Image, there is no information about what kind of code is inside. This is in contrast to uImage format, where there is a header that contains architecture, start address, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar
Regarding your first issue, the most likely cause is that the ethernet PHY isn't correctly configured (devicetree), or the appropriate PHY driver is not compiled into the kernel. You should be able to compare kernel boot messages between the UG873 and your own kernel, see where the difference lies.

I'm not too familiar with the second issue - but the "Cannot determine ARCH" message makes sense for a zImage format kernel. This is just a compressed Image, there is no information about what kind of code is inside. This is in contrast to uImage format, where there is a header that contains architecture, start address, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the response. You're right, the boot messages from the UG873 build have Intel e1000e drivers outputing to the console, while the PetaLinux BSP seems to not have any driver messages at all. They both have the PHY detected at the same address. I was assuming that the BSP was correct as it's from the Xilinx download page. Anyway I need to see about including those drivers with the BSP project.

The reason the build wasn't booting was in the guide it tells you to do

petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 1

then

petalinux-boot --jtag --kernel

which doesn't send the FSBL before the kernel. So you just do --prebuilt 2 instead. Now it looks like we're ready to try the compiler we wanted to test out with PetaLinux, at least.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

So, I couldn't work out exactly how to scrub the BSP of the prebuilt stuff and get it running, but I did confirm the config it came with doesn't have the ethernet PHY drivers enabled. Same with the hardware project I passed to PetaLinux to configure the build, the config doesn't pick up the PHY. Enabling the drivers in the kernel config was easy enough once I stopped looking at the wrong thing, I thought it had something to do with the DTB.

Still I assume the BSP Xilinx is providing is incorrect, or I just have something goofy in my environment so that PetaLinux is breaking it on extraction.

0 Kudos