Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

No output with linux on Zedboard

Hello,

I  have a  Zynq board. I try to boot linux with Linaro root file system.

I receive the following :

(FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.9.0-xilinx-g61fedef/modules.dep: No such file or directory)

and there is no output on the screen

Do you have any idea about the issue?

thanks in advance 
Mohammad

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Make sure you provide the correct 'console=' kernel parameter. Adding 'earlyprintk' might help in case it is not already there.

The rootfs might need to be changed to: 1. spawn login on the serial console and 2. allow root logins on the serial console.

Regarding the module related error message: You need to install the kernel modules into that directory in your rootfs. That shouldn't be the culprit here though. Unless you compiled something vital as module the system should boot up even w/o them installed).

For more details please have a look at our wiki, in particular http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Ubuntu+on+Zynq .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Soren,  I have the same sort of module related error message after small changes for rebuilt uImage for custom board.

Login and console are fine. 

Could you be more explicit about what are/where are built modules that have to be copied to the rootfs of the SD ?

* Starting NTP server ntpd        modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.8.0-xilinx-00017-g12d9c99-dirty/modules.dep: No such file or directory

dogbytes
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Full documentation is found here: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt

The - very! - short version:

Go to your kernel sources and run: 'make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/some/path modules_install'. Then copy the directory with the modules to your target rootfs (/lib/modules/`uname -r`).

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Thank you SorenB ! 

Did the make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/some/path/linux-xlnx modules_install

Copying the kernel subdirectory which has the .ko and the modules.* files (fewer because custom board does not have all the zc706 devices), got rid of the module related error messages such as below, they no longer appear.

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/
3.8.0-xilinx-00017-g12d9c99-dirty/modules.dep: No such file or directory

dogbytes
0 Kudos