Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

PPC bi-endianess mode and Linux in Xilinx boards

Hi,

I have followed the guidelines at xilinx.wikidot.com and have succesfully run Linux on my Virtex4 ML405 board.

I need to run a specific program, but as expected, endianess makes it necessary to rewrite.

Studying the PPC440 manual, I have seen that it supports little-endian mode, though it starts in big-endian mode, through the setting of a control register.

Of course Linux must be built accordingly, in order to run in little-endian mode.

The question is if anyone has tried and succesfully built and run linux and applications in little-endian mode. I have searched through guides, mailing lists, tried locating a point to change at the linux configuration file, but no luck so far...

Thanks  a lot to anyone replying to this and thanks to everyone else whose advice to others I have used so far!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I have not heard of anyone doing that.  I'm not sure that sounds like a good path to do that globally.  I'm not sure that drivers and everything are going to work if you do that.

There may be a way to partition if finer than that such that just this application runs little endian?

Sorry.

0 Kudos