UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

PTP support with MACB

I am working with a Zedboard and I have some problems with PTP. I am not able to see the /dev/ptp0. I am using Linux 4.9 and the zynq-zed.dtb of the kernel repository.

All the documentation of ptp for Linux that I have found is of the xilinx_amacps driver. However, this is not more used.

• Which config options should I enable to see the ptp clock?
  • Do I need to add xlnx,ptp-enet-clock in the dtb?

I attach my .config file in txt format.

Thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: PTP support with MACB

Hi @allende.imanol,

We do not have the PTP support in macb for Zynq.

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Macb+Driver

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos

So I should change to xilinx_emacps?

0 Kudos

Hi @allende.imanol,

You need to be aware that the emacps Linux driver is deprecated since a few years ago. There isn't any support on this. We've never tested it or even built it on the recent kernel.

We (Xilinx) does not have a solution for Zynq PS GEM and PTP. For using PTP on zynq, customers are recommended to use PL PTP solutions.

0 Kudos

I tried first to use the PL with a aes-fmc-ismnet2  FMC module. It has a DP83640 PHY. However, the ethernet lite block does not accept multicat messages. Therefore, PTP can not be used with this IP. On the other hand, TEMAC drivers for linux are only available for MicroBlaze and PowerPC. Finally, AXI Ethernet IP time stamping is only available with SGMII and 1000-BaseX.

How can I implement PTP in a ZedBoard?

0 Kudos

We've had customers added their PTP module on PL and used their own driver for it. Most customer are using AXI Ethernet solution on Zynq but It required an additional custom timer module in the design.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @nanz.  I see you are familiar with some of the PTP issues.  I have a different thread, but no one is responmding, so I thought I'd try asking you here.

I'm having trouble getting PTP working on the ZCU102.  I've tried enabling the extended registers with kernel config variables CONFIG_MACB_EXT_BD and CONFIG_NETWORK_PHY_TIMESTAMPING and CONFIG_DP83640_PHY, but that doesn't work, and otherwise I;'m not sure what else to do.

Could you please advise how to get PTP working on this board?

0 Kudos