UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor l6j6p6
Visitor

Patching real time linux on Zybo

Hey Guys, 

I am trying to install a Preempt_RT patch on the linux. I downloaded the Linux kernel from github which is described in 'Embedded Linux Hands-on Tutorial': https://github.com/DigilentInc/Linux-Digilent-Dev.git . I noticed that the kernel version is 3.18.0, so I install the patch 3.18.24-rt22.patch (since there is no patch for 3.18.0). But when I try to compile the patched kernel with the configuration of full RT, I got this following errors:

CC      kernel/softirq.o
kernel/softirq.c:1115:13: error: redefinition of 'run_ksoftirqd'
 static void run_ksoftirqd(unsigned int cpu)
             ^
kernel/softirq.c:626:13: note: previous definition of 'run_ksoftirqd' was here
             ^
kernel/softirq.c: In function 'run_ksoftirqd':
kernel/softirq.c:1123:3: error: implicit declaration of function '__do_softirq' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   __do_softirq();
   ^
kernel/softirq.c: At top level:
kernel/softirq.c:626:13: warning: 'run_ksoftirqd' defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
             ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[1]: *** [kernel/softirq.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

So I am wondering how to solve this. And I also wonder which way do you duys choose to run a real time linux on Zybo?

Regards,

Jimmy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Patching real time linux on Zybo

If those are the only errors it might be easier to fix it. Did u look at trying to update the 3.8 kernel to 3.8.24 before applying the RT patches? Either way there's going to be some work I think and that's the downside of the RT patches in my experience.

Thanks
John
0 Kudos