UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

PetaLinux 2012.2 License Confusion Again

I have installed an old legacy PetaLinux 2012.2 folder as well as ISE 13.2.  When I try to run an old PetaLinux script, I get the error "ERROR: No valid petalinux features!"  I got past this in the past, but I can't remember exactly how.

PETALINUX LICENSE: Somehow, I got a node-locked license for old PetaLinux 2012.2, but of all may many electronic notes, I have lost the notes for this.  How did I get it?  Did I use the License Manager and then "Acquire a License" bullet "Get My Purchased License(s)" and search for an old legacy license online?  I'm getting hung up with my new CentOS 6 VM when I try to do this, so I'm pausing to wonder if this is the way I need to do it.  Otherwise, please refresh my memory on how to get an old legacy PetaLinux license for the CentOS 6 VM I recently created.  (FYI, was using Ubuntu 16.XX, but now going back to old linux.)

ISE LICENSE: I also installed ISE 13.2.  Am I going to need yet another license for that?  I don't remember.  Note that with my prior Ubuntu VM, I set up access to our license server first, then got the node locked PetaLinux license.  I don't know if that was necessary.  Am I going to need to connect to that license server to get access to our existing ISE license?

Thanks,

Helmut

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: PetaLinux 2012.2 License Confusion Again

Hi Helmut

See if you have "petalinux.lic" under petalinux-v2012.2-final/etc/license/. If exists, try copying this to ~/.Xilinx and then it should  work.  It appears that this new "no-license" version of the PetaLinux tools needs to search in that license directory or the settings.[c]sh should copy it over to ~/.Xilinx

If you still have any concerns, try contacting Xilinx sales distributor in creating the service request with us.

Best Regards
Shabbir

0 Kudos
Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

Re: PetaLinux 2012.2 License Confusion Again

@shabbirk thanks for weighing in on this.  I have a different, prior forum post on this question that remains unanswered.  It provides more detail of the problem.  Please be aware that I do INDEED have both an ISE license and a petalinux license installed.  I seem to be getting a THIRD kind of license error, related to petalinux.  I am providing the link to this post further below.

Before you go looking at the link further below (and please do) be aware that I was previously running an Ubuntu VM.  I got the petalinux license for it.  But it was new Ubuntu and makefiles were a little incompatible.  Nevertheless, I worked through many other problems using that VM.  Finally unable to get any further, I made a CentOS version 6 VM, that should be closer to what petalinux 2012.12 ran on.  I gave that VM the ***SAME*** mac address as the Ubuntu VM.  So I've been trying to use the SAME license file as I was using on the Ubuntu VM. ------> Is it possible that the license file half-works because the mac address is the same, but half does NOT work because it's CentOS rather than Ubuntu?

Please see https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/PetaLinux-2012-2-License-Problems-again/m-p/798711#M22131

EDIT: Note that the CentOS VM was unable to successfully run xlcm, which is why I changed the mac addr to match the other vm and then used the other vm's license.  How was it unsuccessful?  xlcm loaded a browser then after I provided my identity, it had some failure I can't recall at the moment.

0 Kudos