cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kansas-outbound
Visitor
Visitor

PetaLinux 2018.2: Cannot Build RootFS with PERF enabled

I am unable to build a PetaLinux 2018.2 project with PERF enabled in the RootFS. My project uses a external kernel and u-boot source and prompts the following error when PERF has been enabled from petalinux-config -c rootfs.

bash-4.2$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
Loading cache: 100% |###############################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:01
Loaded 3439 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 100% |#############################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:05
Parsing of 2555 .bb files complete (2515 cached, 40 parsed). 3444 targets, 139 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
ERROR: Task do_patch in /apps/xilinx/petalinux_20182/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/core/meta/recipes-kernel/perf/perf.bb depends upon non-existent task do_patch in /apps/xilinx/petalinux_20182/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2018.2.bb
ERROR: Command execution failed: 1

The only reference I can find to someone with a similar issue was this email chain for OE-CORE that YOCTO is built on that includes a patch, but am unsure how to apply this patch. From this link it seems to say that PERF is dependent on the do_patch step which is skipped when using EXTERNAL SOURCES. The patch claims to change this to make PERF dependant on do_configure instead. https://www.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2018-January/146911.html

My question: Is there a way around this error, and if not is there instructions on how I can apply this patch? If I cant get around this issue is there other tools included in the rootfs packages for performance testing of the ethernet?

Situation: My goal is to be able to performance test the 10G/25G core interfaces similar to the results provided in XAPP1305.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aravindb

HI @kansas-outbound 

Can you please try to apply patches on your external kernel  before enabling perf in petalinux if any dependent patches available. I doubt  yocto/petalinux will assume that external kernel is already optimized one.

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
kansas-outbound
Visitor
Visitor

I have solved the issue.

IPERF3 is already included in the recipes for YOCTO, to enable...

To add IPERF to the ROOTFS KCONFIG menu when you run petalinux-config -c rootfs

- add IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " iperf3" to /project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/petalinux-images.bbappend

IPERF3 Shows up in petalinux-config -c rootfs, just enable under User Packages

This is where my problem was. The SSTATE was locked and had to be unlocked. To unlock the sstate this line had to be added to /project-spec/meta-user/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf

- SIGGEN_UNLOCKED_RECIPIES += "my-recipe"

Afterwards was able to verify that IPERF3 was installed by untarring my rootfs.tar.gz and seeing that IPERF3 was now located in /usr/sbin

0 Kudos