UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor paulkushner2
Visitor

PetaLinux: How to create a secure FTP server? and how to create new users with administrator rights?

Two fairly simple Linux issues that I cannot solve in PetaLinux.

1. I wish to configure (or add) an FTP server with a login requirement (for some security) as the BusyBox ftpd server is designed to be anonymous. Is there anything included with the package or are there any recommendations for this?

2. I wish to create a new user with administrator rights that isn't root. Then I will use su when root access needed. At the moment I find that su can only be used in the root login. If I create a user that belongs to the group 'root' this doesn't help.

Also, as a basic level Linux user, I am finding that documentation on PetaLinux is hard to find (rather than the PetaLinux tools). Can anyone suggest any good references for managing a PetaLinux system with regard to users, file handling and security etc?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor paulkushner2
Visitor

Re: PetaLinux: How to create a secure FTP server? and how to create new users with administrator rights?

I have made some progress with support from Avnet but I'm still stuck.

The "petalinux-config -c rootfs" tool allows the addition of the Dropbear software. This adds an SSH and an SFTP server that both appear to work successfully. I have turned off the option that starts the FTP server in the inetd.conf file. Now I have a secure SFTP interface.

However my issue is that our client interface only supports FTP and not SSH. So I really need an FTP server to run on PetaLinux. I have looked at proFTPD and BFTPD but both tools are designed to compile on the target and I cannot see that PetaLinux has an on board compiler.

Does anybody know how to cross-compile these packages or get a compiler running on PetaLinux please?

0 Kudos
Participant rankeney
Participant

Re: PetaLinux: How to create a secure FTP server? and how to create new users with administrator rights?

I've successfully cross-compiled some packages using the Petalinux tools, though it has been a while. There frequently is an option you can specify if there is a configure file where you say something like:

./configure --host=arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi

make

See if this works for you. I have also found a compiler that works on Petalinux.  See my blog;

Compiling on Petalinux

Robert

0 Kudos
Visitor paulkushner2
Visitor

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for the response, I will give it a try.

Paul

0 Kudos