UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

PetaLinux Multicore System-How?

Jump to solution

Hello!

My aim is to implement PetaLinux on a multicore MicroBlaze system. For that, I am already able to run PetaLinux on one MicroBlaze. Now I extended the system to 3 uBlazes. Here a short description:

-each MB has an own PLB, DLMB & ILMB and a BRAM for that

-a shared PLB connected via bridges to each MB-PLB

->on that shared PLB there is the MDM for UART output

->also the SRAM and DDR mem is on that shared PLB where the Linux image goes to

-each PLB has a shared BRAM to the other PLB's (using the XPS BRAM Cntlr)

The point where I am stuck now, is how to configure the PetaLinux for it. I dont know how to make the fs-boot in the SDK (since I can just make it for each processor seperately, so I guess it would end up in running parallel OS, not 1 using all the blazes), or to configure the autoconfig.. 

Can anybody give me some instructions how to make that? Do I need to connect them in another way (perhaps FSLs?)? Or do I need another system structure?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PetaLinux Multicore System-How?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Even if Linux supports SMP so doesn't it mean that it will work directly on any multi-core processor.

Most of the Linux code is independant of the processor architecture or system.

However there are parts that has to specifically written to support SMP.

These parts are done for ARM and Zynq but not for MicroBlaze.

Göran

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

To clarify it more, it should be SMP. I read several posts about it which said that it is not possible, but mostly they were already from older dates. So is it possible to implement a SMP PetaLinux system with MicroBlazes? If yes, how do I have to make the design?

0 Kudos
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

Sorry for the push, but I would just like to know, if theres anybody who can give me a hint how it is possible to create such a design, so that PetaLinux "recognizes" both cores. I can not find any papers or similiar which are describing that.

0 Kudos
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

...is it at least possible?

0 Kudos
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

....push :) ?

0 Kudos
Observer qswsjs
Observer

Jump to solution

hi,I have run petalinux on one microblaze, but the ethernet don't work correctly.I cann't "ping" correctly between petalinux on board and ubuntu under vmware . You have run linux successfully ,can you give me some advices ? what's the problem, I'm trapped by this problem sevral days .thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

Im sorry, but I cant help you on that. I am not using the Ethernet port on my system, I load it via JTAG and communicate over Cable..

0 Kudos
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

Are there any projects known beside PolyBlaze?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

A design with multiple MicroBlaze running Linux SMP requires coherent caches if you want to have any kind of performance.

Running linux without caches is possible but very impractical.

So you need to use the System Cache IP which provides coherent caches for multiple MicroBlaze.

Furthermore you need to modify the MicroBlaze linux port to handle SMP and you also need a much more complicated interrupt mechanism (cross-core interrupt capabilities).

Is this for a real project or something you just want to try out?

Göran

0 Kudos
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply!

This would be for a bachelor project. The cache problem could be more or less left out, since not using caches would be ok, since the system itself is in the main spot. But modifying the MicroBlaze Linux port to handle SMP sounds a bit to much beside work for the project (I thought since PetaLinux is based on 2.6, it should handle SMP from nature). 

Do you know how the Linux for the Zynq board handles then SMP or what is different?

Greets,

Dominic

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Even if Linux supports SMP so doesn't it mean that it will work directly on any multi-core processor.

Most of the Linux code is independant of the processor architecture or system.

However there are parts that has to specifically written to support SMP.

These parts are done for ARM and Zynq but not for MicroBlaze.

Göran

0 Kudos
Visitor doeminick
Visitor

Jump to solution

Ah ok, that fact is good to know. This modification exceeds the border of my project. Thank you for your answers.

0 Kudos