cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

PetaLinux-build error:

I'm having some trouble getting PetaLinux to build. I'm using PetaLinux 2018.2 on an Ubuntu 2016.4 VM. I can create and configure the project without issue, but when I run petalinux-build, the script errors out on the do_configure function. I've attached the build and error log files, but the relevant lines are:

Starting xsdk. This could take few seconds... ERROR: [#UNDEF] Java VM required by SDK is not found in the Installation
XSCTHELPER INFO: Empty WorkSpace
Starting xsdk. This could take few seconds... ERROR: [#UNDEF] Java VM required by SDK is not found in the Installation
timeout while establishing a connection with SDK

The timeout seems to be addressed in AR#69812, but none of the workarounds listed in the AR worked for me. I also suspect that the possibly missing Java VM is the real reason for the connection timeout.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I've been stuck here for days now.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted

Re: PetaLinux-build error:

Hi @thomas_tolo,

How many CPU core have you allocated to VM?

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The VM has 8 cores and over 8GB of ram, as specified in UG1144.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

try building fsbl out of context:

petalinux-build -c fsbl

I also have this happen from time to time. My fix is building it on it own. Sounds dumb but sometimes it also helps to just try it several times until it succeeds...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The petalinux-build -c bootloader would work if the issue is related to the VM CPU resources. It is worth a try to see if the issue still persists here though

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

No luck with petalinux-build -c (and I tried multiple times as suggested). I still think it has to do with the missing VM message, but I don't know how to fix it. xsct and xsdk are both available from the command line, so I'm not sure why the SDK isn't launching.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Since this seems to be connected to building the FSBL with the SDK, is there any way to specify an FSBL.elf file I manually built with the SDK? I'm running Linaro currently, and the FSBL, u-boot, etc all work correctly; I want to switch to Petalinux for ease of configuration. Can I run petalinux-build and pass in an external FSBL.elf file?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Any solutions to this. I am running on native Linux machine (not VM). Both "pmu" & "fable" builds are failing.

Sandeep

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have this same error. Have you found any resolutions to it yet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I haven't found a solution, but I have finally found a workaround. I can generate an FSBL.elf manually using the SDK, and then turn off the FSBL generation under petalinux (petalinux-config --> Linux Components Selection --> First Stage Bootloader). I also deselect fsbl autoconfig, although I'm not sure it's necessary (petalinux-config --> Auto Config Settings --> fsbl autoconfig). With FSBL generation turned off, petalinux-build no longer errors. Then, when generating the BOOT.bin file, I select the FSBL.elf I generated manually earlier

petalinux-package --boot --fsbl {path_to_fsbl}/FSBL.elf --fpga {path_to_bitstream}/design_wrapper.bit --u-boot

Hopefully that helps!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I met this issue too and managed to find the cause. It turns out that for some reason <installdir>/petalinux/tools/hsm/bin/loader define two wrong difinitions. I've installed petalinux to /apps, and line2-3 are:

export XILINX_SDK=/apps/tools/hsm
export XILINX_EDK=/apps/tools/hsm

The correct one should be:

export XILINX_SDK=/apps/petalinux/tools/hsm
export XILINX_EDK=/apps/petalinux/tools/hsm

They will cause xsdk/xsct fail to find java vm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am fixed same issue.thank you.

I was changed the tool directory, after tool installation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

When i use petalinux, I meet the following problems, can any body help? I use is 2018.2 vivado

>> petalinux-build

>> petalinux-build -c fsbl (are all the same)

2018.2+gitAUTOINC+6e82c0183b-r0/fsbl.yaml
| APP_ARG is -app "Zynq MP FSBL"
| cmd is: xsct /home/cpchen6/Projects/hdmi/xilinx.ex/rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2018-2.hdmirx/apu/vcu_petalinux_bsp/xilinx-vcu-trd-zcu106-zu7-v2018.2/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/fsbl/2018.Xilinx.Petalinux.Tools/Xilinx.petalinux/tools/hsm/data/embeddedsw -processor psu_cortexa53_0 -hdf /home/cpchen6/Projects/hdmi/xilinx.ex/rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2018-2.hdmirx/apu/vcu_petalinux_bsp/xilinx-vcu-trd-zcu106-zu7-v2018.2/build/tmp/deploy/images/plnx-zynqmp/Xilinx-plnx-zynqmp.hdf -arch 64 -app "Zynq MP FSBL" -yamlconf /home/cpchen6/Projects/hdmi/xilinx.ex/rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2018-2.hdmirx/apu/vcu_petalinux_bsp/xilinx-vcu-trd-zcu106-zu7-v2018.2/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/fsbl/2018.2+gitAUTOINC+6e82c0183b-r0/fsbl.yaml
| Display is :1002+gitAUTOINC+6e82c0183b-r0/app.tcl -ws /home/cpchen6/Projects/hdmi/xilinx.ex/rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2018-2.hdmirx/apu/vcu_petalinux_bsp/xilinx-vcu-trd-zcu106-zu7-v2018.2/build/../components/plnx_workspace/fsbl -pname fsbl -rp /home/cpchen6/
| Starting xsdk. This could take few seconds... ERROR: [#UNDEF] Java VM required by SDK is not found in the Installation
| XSCTHELPER INFO: Empty WorkSpace
| Starting xsdk. This could take few seconds... ERROR: [#UNDEF] Java VM required by SDK is not found in the Installation
| timeout while establishing a connection with SDK
| while executing
| "error "timeout while establishing a connection with SDK""
| (procedure "getsdkchan" line 111)
| invoked from within
| "getsdkchan"
| (procedure "::sdk::set_user_repo_path_sdk" line 16)
| invoked from within
| "::sdk::set_user_repo_path_sdk $params(set)"
| (procedure "repo" line 27)
| invoked from within

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello All,

These errors are due to Petalinux tools not install correct.

After install again, are errors are gone.

Share.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I solved same problem

make -j6

command.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Can you tell me how to fix it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have also wasted far too much time with this issue.

For me, the problem was that the xilninx AR#69812 "solution" itself contains an error.

the ~/.xsdbrc should contain "configparams sdk-launch-timeout 180" not "configparams-sdk-launch-timeout 180" as stated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I think this is the cause of my issue:( in my case with 2018.3), the <installdir>/tools/hsm directory does NOT exist???  I also have 2015.4 installed and it DOES have the tools/hsm directory!  The 2015.4 version still works fine.

I tried to reinstall the Petalinux with same result.  Install Log file is clean.  Sourcing the 2018.3 also looks fine.  What would prevent the tools/hsm directory from not being installed?  Or maybe this is just a difference between 2015 and 2018???

output from source file:

$ source /opt/Petalinux/2018.3/settings.sh
PetaLinux environment set to '/opt/Petalinux/2018.3'
INFO: Checking free disk space
INFO: Checking installed tools
INFO: Checking installed development libraries
INFO: Checking network and other services
WARNING: No tftp server found - please refer to "PetaLinux SDK Installation Guide" for its impact and solution

value of $PETALINUX

echo $PETALINUX

/opt/Petalinux/2018.3

I also installed SDK 2018 as well (before installing PetaLinux)... not sure if that is somehow causing a problem?

When executing xsdk &:

WARNING: /opt/Petalinux/2018.3/tools/xsct/SDK/2018.3/tps/lnx64/jre does not exist.

****** Xilinx Software Development Kit
****** SDK v (64-bit)
**** SW Build 2390844 on Thu Nov 15 19:17:20 MST 2018
** Copyright 1986-2018 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

ERROR: [#UNDEF] Java VM required by SDK is not found in the Installation

The tools directory (as stated above) also does not contain the JRE: .(..xsct/SDK/2018.3/tps/lnx64/jre) either!!

My 2018.3 tools directory looks like this:

./ ../ common/ lib/ linux-i386/ webtalk/ xsct/

(notice no hsm directory)

Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

To clarify on previous post... when I say "I think this is the cause of my issue.", I'm referring to the loader (hsm directory) file not actaully existing... as mentioned above by user foxsen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I ended up resolving the issue...

• The standalone SDK works (via the desktop icon), therefore I updated the path in the PetaLinux setting.sh to use the standalone SDK rather than the PetaLinux version (which is missing the Java). This is basically the same setup that 2015 version used (2015.4 had a path to use the Xilinx path to SDK as opposed to the Petalinux path).  Specifically, I updated the settings.sh within the PetaLinux 2018 install dir: (/opt/Petalinux/2018.3/settings.sh) with the following:

I Replaced the following lines at near the bottom of the file (around line 56):

# Add XSCT and its binaries in PATH

#

XSCT_PATH=$(readlink -f ${PETALINUX}/tools/xsct/SDK/*/bin | head -1)

PATH="${XSCT_PATH}:${PATH}"

With the following lines:

# Add SDK (standalone) and its binaries in PATH

#

SDK_2018=/opt/Xilinx/SDK/SDK/2018.3

SDK_PATH=$(readlink -f ${SDK_2018}/bin | head -1)

PATH="${SDK_PATH}:${PATH}"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I installed in /opt/pkg/petalinux/ then moved to /opt/pkg/petalinux/2018.2. This will mess up the paths in the scripts for the install. Reinstalling in the correct location fixed my problem.
0 Kudos