UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Petalinux 2017.2 Kernel panic in "skb_copy_and_csum_dev()" inside "xilinx_axienet_main.c"

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am observing a kernel panic with 100% reproducibility when passing traffic through the 10G PCS+MAC connected to AXIDMA connected to the zynq ultrascale+ ZCU102 board.

I've traced the kernel panic down to a memcpy originating from the "skb_copy_and_csum_dev()" function inside "drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c" when using a mtu = 9000.

Can you please help me find a workaround for this?

Here are some specifics of my test setup:

- I am using the ZCU102 board similar to the configuration provided in XAPP1305 with the PS connected to an AXI DMA block connected to a 10G PCS+MAC Ethernet block with the 10G as ETH1 in linux

- Vivado and Petalinux are both 2017.2

After booting petalinux, this is how I reproduce the kernel panic:

ifconfig eth1 mtu 9000

ping 192.168.1.1 # this pings my other board successfully.

ping 192.168.1.1 -s 8800 # this pings my other board successfully.

ping 192.168.1.1 -s 9000 # this command causes a kernel panic.

I was able to look at the kernel panic stack trace and find that the last called function was a memcpy from a xmit function within drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c. By inserting printk statements I was able to narrow down the line causing the panic to a skb_copy_and_csum_dev() call.

Also, the same Vivado design implemented in 2016.4 from the XAPP1305, is able to execute the "ping -s 9000" fine without any issues. This code uses a patch to implement the 10G core driver functionality within drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c and has a much different infrastructure than the 2017.2 version.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Petalinux 2017.2 Kernel panic in "skb_copy_and_csum_dev()" inside "xilinx_axienet_main.c"

Jump to solution

Small correction on Radhey's comment 

To enable DRE support "xlnx,include-dre" property should be added in DMA node not to the DMA channel node.

Example DT node for  DMA:

axi_eth_0_dma: dma@80040000 {
#dma-cells = <1>;
clock-names = "s_axi_lite_aclk";
clocks = <&misc_clk_0>;
compatible = "xlnx,eth-dma";
interrupt-parent = <&gic>;
interrupts = <0 89 4 0 90 4>;
reg = <0x0 0x80040000 0x0 0x10000>;
xlnx,include-dre ;
};

10 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Petalinux 2017.2 Kernel panic in "skb_copy_and_csum_dev()" inside "xilinx_axienet_main.c"

Jump to solution

Update:

After more tracing it looks like there is a line in net/core/skbuff.c that is calling the memcpy which causes the kernel panic. Here is a summary of what I have so far. Can someone please help suggest how I can change the driver to avoid this error? Or if there is something within Vivado or Petalinux I can change to avoid this?

---

in "axienet_start_xmit" in drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c:
skb_copy_and_csum_dev(skb, q->tx_buf[q->tx_bd_tail]); /* THIS LINE CAUSES PANIC */

in "skb_copy_and_csum_dev" in net/core/skbuff.c:
skb_copy_from_linear_data(skb, to, csstart); /* THIS LINE CAUSES PANIC */

in "skb_copy_from_linear_data" in include/linux

static inline void skb_copy_from_linear_data(const struct sk_buff *skb,
                                             void *to,
                                             const unsigned int len)
{
        memcpy(to, skb->data, len);
}

---

I printed out the value of csstart before the crash and it is 9010.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to help fix this.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Has anyone at Xilinx had a chance to look at this? Any suggestions or recommendations to try?

Thanks!

Adam

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Checking in again to see if there are any recommendations or suggestions from Xilinx to help with this issue.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Adam,

Have you tried XAPP1035 2017.1 released version? Looks like the last update was in 2017.1.

Can you confirm if below works?

ping 192.168.1.1 -s 8800 # this pings my other board successfully.

Based on implementation if DRE is not enabled in the h/w tx buffers are allocated as-

XAE_MAX_PKT_LEN * TX_BD_NUM where XAE_MAX_PKT_LEN = 8192 

Thanks,

Radhey

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@radheys

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I used the xapp1305 2017.1 version as my starting point.

The "ready to test" binary files in the xapp1305 2017.1 file have a limit on the maximum mtu (by default they are set to 1500, and you can change them to values less than ~1024). I increased the FIFO sizes in the xapp1305 2017.1 to allow higher mtu values, and observe the kernel panic issues on 2017.1 as well as when I migrated the project to 2017.2. The ping -s 8800 works on both the 2017.1 and 2017.2 designs I have. I had a more thorough post on the specific setup I am using here:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Networking-and-Connectivity/Is-there-petalinux-2017-2-support-for-10G-Ethernet-Subsystem-v2/td-p/789848

I checked my petalinux /components/plnx_workspace/device-tree-generation/plnx_aarch64-system.dts files and I see in the ethernet@8100000 device tree entry:

"xlnx,include-dre;"

However, when I was insert printk statements into xilinx_axienet_main.c, I see the skb_copy_and_csum_dev() function executed, which eventually leads to the kernel panic. The if statement just above this line seems to indicate that q->eth_has_dre is FALSE though, which seems to contradict the "xlnx,include-dre;" line in the petalinux device tree. I copied the relevant code below:

if (!q->eth_hasdre &&
	    (((phys_addr_t)skb->data & 0x3) || (num_frag > 0))) {
		skb_copy_and_csum_dev(skb, q->tx_buf[q->tx_bd_tail]);

cur_p->phys = q->tx_bufs_dma +
			      (q->tx_buf[q->tx_bd_tail] - q->tx_bufs);

if (num_frag > 0) {
pad = skb_pagelen(skb) - skb_headlen(skb);

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Does the DMA node has xlnx,include-dre; property???

Driver is expecting the xlnx,include-dre; property from the DMA node.

https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/blob/master/drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c#L3404

q->eth_hasdre = of_property_read_bool(np,
  "xlnx,include-dre");

Could you please add the xlnx,include-dre; property to the DMA node if it is not there and let me know the test observations??? 

Kedar....

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like "xlnx,include-dre" is not set properly.

To enable DRE support "xlnx,include-dre" should be added in DMA channel node.

Example:

axi_dma_0: dma@80000000 {
<snip>
dma-channel@80000000 {
compatible = "xlnx,axi-dma-mm2s-channel";
dma-channels = <0x1>;
interrupts = <0 89 4>;
xlnx,datawidth = <0x40>;
xlnx,device-id = <0x0>;
xlnx,include-dre ;
};
dma-channel@80000030 {
compatible = "xlnx,axi-dma-s2mm-channel";
dma-channels = <0x1>;
interrupts = <0 90 4>;
xlnx,datawidth = <0x40>;
xlnx,device-id = <0x0>;
xlnx,include-dre ;
};
};

Debug Flow (Please provide your observation)

a) Add xlnx,include-dre in DMA node and see if it works? Please share your dts for reference.

b) Add a print in axi ethernet driver to print the value of q->eth_hasdre after DT parsing.

c) In function axienet_start_xmit()  add print to display TX queue index.

u16 map = skb_get_queue_mapping(skb); /* Single dma queue default*/

pr_info("skb_map index %d",map);

Thanks,

Radhey

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Small correction on Radhey's comment 

To enable DRE support "xlnx,include-dre" property should be added in DMA node not to the DMA channel node.

Example DT node for  DMA:

axi_eth_0_dma: dma@80040000 {
#dma-cells = <1>;
clock-names = "s_axi_lite_aclk";
clocks = <&misc_clk_0>;
compatible = "xlnx,eth-dma";
interrupt-parent = <&gic>;
interrupts = <0 89 4 0 90 4>;
reg = <0x0 0x80040000 0x0 0x10000>;
xlnx,include-dre ;
};

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@appanad

Thanks!!! Adding "xlnx,include-dre" in the DMA node fixed my issue! I can now set the mtu to 9000 and send many packets without experiencing a kernel panic.

@radheys

Thanks for the "include-dre" suggestion!

The petalinux flow included the "include-dre" option in the ethernet and DMA S2MM and MM2S channels but NOT the DMA node as mentioned by appand.

Before I added the include-dre to the DMA node, I was observing q->eth_hasdre return 0. After adding the "include-dre" in the DMA node, q->eth_hasdre returns 1 along with the kernel panics going away.

I am attaching my device trees to this post as well. All modifications were completed within the system-user.dtsi.

Thanks again,

Adam

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Adam,

Good to hear that kernel panic is fixed.

Thanks @appanad

-Radhey

0 Kudos