UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Petalinux 2017.2 - put bitstream file outside of BOOT.bin

Is it possible to configure a Petalinux project to have the bitstream file 'outside' of the BOOT.bin file, for cases where you're just fixing RTL code bugs, and nothing has changed to the DTS or other settings that require an update of FSBL etc. 

If only the bitstream file changed without impact on anything else, regenerating the BOOT.bin file is not necessary, and allows for quicker debug.

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Petalinux 2017.2 - put bitstream file outside of BOOT.bin

r,

I use the linux build (petalinux) cp [foo.bin to the] /dev/cfg to load a bitstream for quicker testing.  Just copy the bitstream file to the SD card of the board (I pop out the SD card, program it on my PC, pop it back in).

It is not that much faster than using JTAG to load a bitstream (also possible), but it is faster than rebuilding the complete fsbl.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

But depending on the design this may cause the system to hang when loading the bit file from linux.  If this is the case, then the easiest/quickest thing is just use bootgen to manually regenerate a new boot.bin.   I should say easy in the sense that if you create a script to do this for you but once you have that you can change any single component in the boot.bin.  Like in your example, if your fix is RTL only and doesn't effect the hdf there is no reason to compile the other pieces.

jeff

0 Kudos

This wiki discusses your flow
http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/FPGA+Manager+ZCU102
0 Kudos