UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Petalinux 2017.2 - questions about the dts & dtsi files

Jump to solution

UG1144 (Petalinux ref guide) writes (page 75) that any customisations or additions to the device tree should be made in the file 'system-user.dtsi'. (located under /project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/device-tree/files)

Then for my Zynq project, Petalinux generated a bunch of dts(i) files, which can be found under :

/components/plnx_workspace/device-tree-generation

dts.png

starting with the top-level file 'system-top.dts'

looking into the file, this top level file includes :

- zynq-7000.dtsi

- pl.dtsi

- pcw.dtsi

- system-user.dtsi. (user overrides or additions) 

Q1 : is it possible to see some kind of 'combined' result of the .dts file + 4 .dtsi files? I assume some pre-processor will parse these files into one -> can this result be seen somewhere? 

i.e. : pcw.dtsi overrides (enables) uart1 with status = "okay"  (where it was "disabled" in zynq-7000.dtsi, which is lower in the dts hierarchy). So does some 'preprocessor of the 'DTB' tool generate a 'single, combined' dts file, so we can easier see the overall node properties? 

Q2 : there are 3 files remaining, and I am wondering what there use is, as they don't seem to be included in the 'system-top.dts' file? :

- skeleton.dtsi

- system-conf.dtsi

- plnx_arm-system.dts

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Petalinux 2017.2 - questions about the dts & dtsi files

Jump to solution

Hallo @ronnywebers,

Regarding Q1:

You can get the "combined version" exactly how you suggest. The only problem is that the references (like <&phy0>) will disappear and will be replaced by numbers.

#if you don't have it installed:
sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler

dtc -I dts -O dtb system-top.dts -o system.dtb
dtc -I dtb -O dts system.dtb -o recover.dts

The "combined" file is recover.dts

Regarding Q2:

system-conf.dtsi is included in "plnx_arm-system.pp". It's generated by Petalinux, and apparently contains info of your hardware.

skeleton.dtsi is included in the kernel sources, but it's deprecated. Apparently, it is the minimum to boot.

Regards,

Ignacio

2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hallo @ronnywebers,

Regarding Q1:

You can get the "combined version" exactly how you suggest. The only problem is that the references (like <&phy0>) will disappear and will be replaced by numbers.

#if you don't have it installed:
sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler

dtc -I dts -O dtb system-top.dts -o system.dtb
dtc -I dtb -O dts system.dtb -o recover.dts

The "combined" file is recover.dts

Regarding Q2:

system-conf.dtsi is included in "plnx_arm-system.pp". It's generated by Petalinux, and apparently contains info of your hardware.

skeleton.dtsi is included in the kernel sources, but it's deprecated. Apparently, it is the minimum to boot.

Regards,

Ignacio

Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

ok - so it looks like these 3 files are not really used ...

thanks for the great tip about reverse compiling the device tree!

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos