* petalinux-build

* petalinux-package --prebuilt

* petalinux-boot --qemu --prebuilt 3

Upon launching QEMU, I get this output :

INFO: The image provided is a zImage
INFO: Set QEMU tftp to /home/zynqdev/Zynq/2017_2/petalinux/drfa/images/linux 
INFO: TCP PORT is free 
INFO: Starting arm QEMU
INFO:  qemu-system-aarch64 -M arm-generic-fdt-plnx -machine linux=on   -serial /dev/null -serial mon:stdio -display none -kernel /home/zynqdev/Zynq/2017_2/petalinux/drfa/build/qemu_image.elf -gdb tcp::9000 -dtb /home/zynqdev/Zynq/2017_2/petalinux/drfa/pre-built/linux/images/system.dtb  -net nic,vlan=1 -net user,vlan=1,tftp=/home/zynqdev/Zynq/2017_2/petalinux/drfa/images/linux -net nic -device loader,addr=0xf8000008,data=0xDF0D,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf8000140,data=0x00500801,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf800012c,data=0x1ed044d,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf8000108,data=0x0001e008,data-len=4    
The 'arm-generic-fdt-plnx' machine has been deprecated. Please use 'arm-generic-fdt-7series' instead.
ERROR:/build/ssw/petalinux/jenkins/new_build_src_2017.2/qemu/qom/object.c:1576:object_get_canonical_path_component: assertion failed: (obj)
petalinux-qemu-boot: line 823: 81029 Aborted                 (core dumped) $QEMU_DEBUG ${qemu_cmd} ${qemu_mach} ${nic_list} ${qemu_serial} ${qemu_display} ${qemu_img_opt} -gdb tcp::${start_port} ${dtb_option} ${slirp_option} ${zynq_fsbl_args} ${extra_args} ${aarch64_beta2_args} ${mem_option}

I think this is the issue :

The 'arm-generic-fdt-plnx' machine has been deprecated. Please use 'arm-generic-fdt-7series' instead 

can someone tell me what to do?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Petalinux 2017.2 says 'The 'arm-generic-fdt-plnx' machine has been deprecated'

Hi @ronnywebers

There is already an existing post where it seems that the same issue is discussed :)

I just tested in my end using ZC702 BSP package and pre-build kernel ($petalinux-boot --qemu --prebuilt 3) and although I do get the same warning message the system seems to boot properly.

INFO: The image provided is a zImage                                                     
INFO: Set QEMU tftp to /home/ibaie/Workspace/Forum/qemu/zc702/pre-built/linux/images/    
INFO: TCP PORT is free                                                                   
INFO: Starting arm QEMU                                                                  
INFO:  qemu-system-aarch64 -M arm-generic-fdt-plnx -machine linux=on   -serial /dev/null -serial mon:stdio -display none -kernel /home/ibaie/Workspace/Forum/qemu/zc702/build/qemu_image.elf -gdb tcp::9000 -dtb /home/ibaie/Workspace/Forum/qemu/zc702/pre-built/linux/images/system.dtb  -net nic,vlan=1 -net user,vlan=1,tftp=/home/ibaie/Workspace/Forum/qemu/zc702/pre-built/linux/images/ -net nic -device loader,addr=0xf8000008,data=0xDF0D,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf8000140,data=0x00500801,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf800012c,data=0x1ed044d,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf8000108,data=0x0001e008,data-len=4                                                                    
The 'arm-generic-fdt-plnx' machine has been deprecated. Please use 'arm-generic-fdt-7series' instead.                                                                                                                                
Warning: vlan 0 is not connected to host network                                                                                                                                                                                     
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.                                                                                                                                                                                     
Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0          

Although you posted your commands how are you buildling the petalinux project? I mean, custom HDF file or a BSP?

Regards

Ibai

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Re: Petalinux 2017.2 says 'The 'arm-generic-fdt-plnx' machine has been deprecated'

thanks @ibaie, it looks like this guy has the same issue.

I'm using a custom .hdf file, I can share it if you want. I'll try with a BSP and see if it makes any difference.

in my case petalinux kind of 'hangs' in the terminal, I can see the terminal responding in a strange way, and I need to close it and open a new one.

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Highlighted

you should use the steps

petalinux-build -t project -s <path to BSP>

cd <project dir>

petalinux-config --get_hw_description=<path to hdf>

continue as normal

Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

@stephenm@ibaie

I'm getting back to this issue, as I'd like to start using QEMU to save some time during development.

I'll repeat the steps that I do :

# 1 - source the tools
source /opt/pkg/petalinux/settings.sh

# 2 - create the petalinux project & cd into it
petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name myproject
cd myproject

# 3 - copy the hdf file  (from the Desktop, it's generated on another machine) into the project
cp /home/zynqdev/Desktop/design_1_wrapper.hdf .

# 4 - init the project -> launches the config menu -> just exit
petalinux-config --get-hw-description

# 5 - build
petalinux-build

# 6 - create pre-built package (for booting on QEMU)
petalinux-package --prebuilt

# 7 - boot on QEMU
petalinux-boot --qemu --prebuilt 3

-> now with my .hdf file of my full project this gives the error mentioned in my question above. The .hdf file is built for a Picozed board.

I tried again, with a very simple project on the Zedboard : just a Zynq + AXI GPIO, connected to the 5 switches on the zedboard. Then generate bitstream, export .hdf -> this does work !! ... QEMU boots, I can login and see for example the axi gpio under /sys/class/gpio 

note that I do get the 'deprecated' warning too here, but the system boots ... 

any suggestions that I can try?

my custom (AXI) IP uses the UIO driver, could that be causing issues?

0 Kudos