Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unir238
Visitor
Visitor

Petalinux 2018.2 No valid device tree binary found

Hi,

I ported a 2017.4 petalinux BSP project for Zybo to Petalinux 2018.2 (all tools are aligned with 2018.2 version list: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71201.html). The build process is completed without errors. I copy the BOOT.bin and image.ub to teh sd card FAT partition and reset the board. I get these messages:

No valid device tree binary found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d <file.dtb>
initcall sequence 0405a5dc failed at call 04050880 (err=-1)
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

I get them whether I set the device tree to be part of the image, or separate and then I also copy the system.dtb to the sd card.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aravindb

HI @unir238

If you are using the all the boot images from same version, you should not see any issues.

Can you please copy all the individual images to SDcard and run below command from u-boot.

mmc dev 0 && mmcinfo && load mmc 0 0x2080000 uImage && load mmc 0 0x2000000 system.dtb && load mmc 0 0x4000000 rootfs.cpio.gz.u-boot && bootm 0x2080000 0x4000000 0x2000000 

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
unir238
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. The issue is that I dont get the uboot prompt, so I cannot issue this command.

BTW, should I rename uimage.ub to uImage?

0 Kudos
stephan_hochmueller
Participant
Participant

Hello unir238

I run into the same problem. My workflow was a bit different. I downloaded the u-boot source repository from Xilinx and was compiling the uboot manually. For me it worked to add the following define in the u-boot-xlnx/include/configs/zynq-zybo.h file:

/*
 * (C) Copyright 2012 Xilinx
 * (C) Copyright 2014 Digilent Inc.
 * Configuration for Zynq Development Board - ZYBO
 * See zynq-common.h for Zynq common configs
 * SPDX-License-Identifier:	GPL-2.0+
 */

#ifndef __CONFIG_ZYNQ_ZYBO_H
#define __CONFIG_ZYNQ_ZYBO_H

#define CONFIG_ZYNQ_I2C0
#define CONFIG_ZYNQ_I2C1
#define CONFIG_SYS_I2C_EEPROM_ADDR_LEN	1
#define CONFIG_ZYNQ_GEM_EEPROM_ADDR	0x50
#define CONFIG_ZYNQ_GEM_I2C_MAC_OFFSET	0xFA
#define CONFIG_DISPLAY
#define CONFIG_I2C_EDID
#define CONFIG_OF_EMBED

#include <configs/zynq-common.h>

#endif /* __CONFIG_ZYNQ_ZYBO_H */

I hope this can help you.

Additional If you use the new Zybo Z7 board you must change the clock speed in the device tree from 50MHz to 33. 

Regards, Stephan

0 Kudos