UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie freddy1404

[Petalinux 2018.2] build sdk fails, not enough space on 1TB SSD (~460GB still free)

Hi,

Board: Ultra96
Tools / Version: Vivado, XSDK, Petalinux 2018.2; Ultra96 BSP
System: Ubuntu 16.04

I would like to develop an OpenAMP App to use on one of the Cortex R5. My Plan: create firmware for the r5, and corresponding A53-App for communication.

So I created the project and for testing a helloworld "firmware" to run on R5, etc. Everything works.

To be able to develop linux app, I read, that I have to create and build the rootfs in petalinux, using petalinux-build --sdk and petalinux-package --sysroot. However the build-command already fails at ERROR: petalinux-user-image-1.0-r0 do_populate_sdk: Function failed: do_populate_sdk. I attached the complete logfile. Apparently, I need (at least) 709MB more space. The weird thing is, that everything (Petalinux-bin, the project, ...) is run from a 1TB SSD which still has 463,5GB free space.

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Newbie freddy1404

Re: [Petalinux 2018.2] build sdk fails, not enough space on 1TB SSD (~460GB still free)

Hey, me again.

Just replying to me own question:

Turns out, shutting the laptop down, going home, upgrading my RAM from 8GB to 16GB and a fresh start somehow fixed it. Weird.

0 Kudos

Re: [Petalinux 2018.2] build sdk fails, not enough space on 1TB SSD (~460GB still free)

I am having the same problem with Petalinux 2018.3 on CentOS 7.6.  I don't belive that adding more RAM should be an acceptable solution to this issue.  Has anyone discovered a better solution?

0 Kudos
Newbie freddy1404

Hey,

I don't believe adding RAM fixed it, however I think the reboot somehow did something. The problem appeared again a few days ago after a mrproper-clean. I tried several things with no luck. With every try, the space needed increased by about 1MB. After cleaning, it jumped from about 143MB needed to 190MB needed. I deleted several GB of the drive, no change.

I found no other way around it, than to ask a friend to redo the same steps I did and it worked for him, so I copied his sdk-folder to be able to work again.

This is a serious issue and needs to be fixed in my opinion!

Good luck, ~ Frederik

PS: I unmarked my previous answer as solution, it probably was just a lucky coincidence..

0 Kudos

I tried running these steps and the SDK continues to fail to build.  This is CentOS 7.6 running Petalinux for the Ultra96 based on an HDF file created in Xilinx SDK:

petalinux-build -x mrproper

petalinux-build

petalinux-build --sdk

The full error logfile is attached, this is the summary:

Error Summary
-------------
Disk Requirements:
   At least 806MB more space needed on the /home/rdubielzig/no_fpga/pl/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/petalinux-user-image/1.0-r0/sdk/image/opt/petalinux/2018.3/sysroots/aarch64-xilinx-linux/ filesystem.

And here's how I know I have the space:

[rdubielzig@localhost aarch64-xilinx-linux]$ pwd
/home/rdubielzig/no_fpga/pl/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/petalinux-user-image/1.0-r0/sdk/image/opt/petalinux/2018.3/sysroots/aarch64-xilinx-linux
[rdubielzig@localhost aarch64-xilinx-linux]$ df .
Filesystem               1K-blocks      Used  Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/centos-home 1888779184 144249488 1744529696   8% /home

0 Kudos

Also, I've noted that the user image, which appears to be built in the same working subdirectory as the SDK, does have a constraint that it fit on an SD card (SUBSYSTEM_ROOTFS_SD=y). Could the "Installed size" of 13G assumed to be too large because Petalinux somehow thinks that I want to copy the SDK into my Ultra96's SD card like a normal rootfs?
0 Kudos

To follow up, changing to SUBSYSTEM_ROOTFS_JFFS2 didn't show any improvement.
0 Kudos

Another observation: There are a couple of huge nonfatal warnings thrown by sed earlier in the log file I attached above, regarding the security context of several files (one warning is 4818 characters long, the other is 44182).  A small snippet is below.  Again, this is on CenOS 7.6.

...sed: warning: failed to get security context of /home/rdubielzig/no_fpga/pl/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/petalinux-user-image/1.0-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/crossscripts/gpg-error-config: No data availablesed: warning: failed to get security context of /home/rdubielzig/no_fpga/pl/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/petalinux-user-image/1.0-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/gpg-error-config: No data availablesed: warning: failed to get security context of /home/rdubielzig/no_fpga/pl/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/petalinux-user-image/1.0-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/crossscripts/libassuan-config: No data availablesed: warning: failed to get security context of /home/rdubielzig/no_fpga/pl/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/petalinux-user-image/1.0-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/libassuan-config: No data available...

0 Kudos