Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Petalinux 2018.2 pmu-firmware patch

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I am trying to patch the pmu-firmware.
The actual file that I want to patch is:

<proj-dir>/components/plnx_workspace/pmu-firmware/pmu-firmware_bsp/psu_pmu_0/libsrc/xilfpga_v4_1/src/xilfpga_pcap.c

I followed the instructions to the best of my ability here (for 2017.1):

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/PetaLinux+Yocto+Tips#toc11

but got the following error:

DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
Display is :122
Source xsctrc script :.xsdbrc FAILED
Starting xsdk. This could take few seconds... Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Duser.home=<proj-dir>/build/tmp/ xsctenv
done
No project(s) found in: '<proj-dir>/components/plnx_workspace/pmu-firmware'
XSCTHELPER INFO: Empty WorkSpace
Specified project 'pmu-firmware_bsp' doesn't exist in the workspace.
Specified project 'pmu-firmware' doesn't exist in the workspace.
Specified project 'pmu-firmware_bsp' doesn't exist in the workspace.
Specified project 'pmu-firmware' doesn't exist in the workspace.
ERROR: pmu-firmware compile failed.
WARNING: <proj-dir>/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/pmu-firmware/2018.2+gitAUTOINC+6e82c0183b-r0/temp/run.do_compile.115215:1 exit 1 from 'exit 1'
ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at <proj-dir>/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/pmu-firmware/2018.2+gitAUTOINC+6e82c0183b-r0/temp/log.do_compile.115215)

And this was the contents of the pmu-firmware directory at the time of failure:

ls -a <proj-dir>/components/plnx_workspace/pmu-firmware
./ ../ .metadata/ SDK.log

There's obviously no contents in the directory.

Under normal circumstances this directory is fully populated.

Inside my <proj-dir>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/pmu directory:

pmu
├── files
│   └── 0001-PMUFW.patch
└── pmu-firmware_%.bbappend

the pmu-firmware_%.bbappend contents:

do_configure() {
    if [ -d "${S}/patches" ]; then
       rm -rf ${S}/patches
    fi  

if [ -d "${S}/.pc" ]; then
       rm -rf ${S}/.pc
    fi  
}

SRC_URI_append = " \ 
        file://0001-PMUFW.patch \
        "

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"

#Enable appropriate PMUFW debug flags
YAML_COMPILER_FLAGS_append = " -DENABLE_EM"

# Note: This is not required if you are using Yocto
EXTERNALXSCTsrc=""
EXTERNALXSCTSRC_BUILD = ""

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

This is working now.

I followed @sandeepg's instructions for the most part but I created the pmu-firmware_%.bbappend file but with the following changes:

I commented out the debug flags because their output was spamming the terminal.

Also:

EXTERNALXSCTsrc=""

was changed to:

EXTERNALXSCTsrc="" <--- This should be all caps and for some reason refuses do display properly.

I've attached my final pmu-firmware_%.bbappend file. 

The other issue was that the file directory structure in the patch file was incorrect and the patch was not being applied. My working patch looks like this:

diff -urN a/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c b/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c
--- a/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c  2018-09-19 18:31:07.579861515 -0400
+++ b/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c  2018-09-20 14:26:37.472384082 -0400
@@ -413,6 +413,9 @@
    goto END;
  }

+
+ //testing patches
+
  if (flags & XFPGA_SECURE_FLAGS)
 #ifdef XFPGA_SECURE_MODE
  {

I'll mark this as the complete answer to my issue but kudos to @sandeepg and @stephenm for their assistance.

Thanks guys!

FYI: @sandeepg

I noticed that entering text in the Rich Text tab and then previewing the results was sometimes lowercasing some of the text. In your case it lowercased the src in EXTERNALXSCTsrc="". You can see this in the preview. I noticed it because i was previewing my changes and I realized that I can not post a fully capitol EXTERNALXSCTsrc="" and see it displayed properly. That is why I had to attach the bbappend file. I'm not sure why I'm experiencing this.

j

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Can you do a rm -rf on the components folder and petalinux-build-x mrproper. The retry again?
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

@stephenm

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately it failed with the following error:

ERROR: device-tree-xilinx+gitAUTOINC+f38738e568-r0 do_compile: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at <proj-dir>/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+f38738e568-r0/temp/log.do_compile.76593)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: <proj-dir>/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+f38738e568-r0/temp/log.do_compile.76593
Log data follows:
| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
| gcc: error: <proj-dir>/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree/*.dts: No such file or directory
| gcc: warning: ‘-x assembler-with-cpp’ after last input file has no effect
| gcc: fatal error: no input files
| compilation terminated.
| WARNING: <proj-dir>/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+f38738e568-r0/temp/run.do_compile.76593:1 exit 4 from 'gcc -E -nostdinc -Ulinux -x assembler-with-cpp -I<proj-dir>/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree -I<proj-dir>/build/tmp/work-shared/plnx-zynqmp/kernel-source/include -I<proj-dir>/build/tmp/work-shared/plnx-zynqmp/kernel-source/arch/arm64/boot/dts/xilinx -I<proj-dir>/build/tmp/work-shared/plnx-zynqmp/kernel-source/include -I<proj-dir>/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+f38738e568-r0 -o `basename ${DTS_FILE}`.pp ${DTS_FILE}'
| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at <proj-dir>/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+f38738e568-r0/temp/log.do_compile.76593)
ERROR: Task (/opt/xilinx/petalinux/2018.2/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-bsp/device-tree/device-tree.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Can you do petalinux-build -c device-tree
Then petalinux-build -c pmufw
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @jplozier,

For 2018.x release the directory structure and PMUFW flags has changed. I will update once wiki freeze is lifted.

1. Create a pmu and files directory in meta-user layer as

$ mkdir -p <plnx-proj-root>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/pmu-firmware/files

2. Copy patch files to <plnx-proj-root>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/pmu-firmware/files as

$ cp 0001-PMUFW.patch <plnx-proj-root>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/pmu-firmware/files

3. Create a pmu-firmware_%.bbappend file and add below content

$ vim <plnx-proj-root>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/pmu-firmware/pmu-firmware_%.bbappend
SRC_URI_append = " \
        file://0001-PMUFW.patch \
        "

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"

#Enable appropriate PMUFW debug flags
#Refer http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/PMU%20Firmware#PMU%20FW%20Build%20Flags YAML_COMPILER_FLAGS_append = " -DDEBUG_MODE -DXPFW_DEBUG_DETAILED"

#By pass PMUFW debug logs on UART1 console:
YAML_SERIAL_CONSOLE_STDOUT = "psu_uart_1"
YAML_SERIAL_CONSOLE_STDIN = "psu_uart_1"
# Note: This is not required if you are using Yocto EXTERNALXSCTsrc="" EXTERNALXSCTSRC_BUILD = ""

4. Remove the <plnx-proj-root>/components/plnx_workspace and clean you project workspace before rebuilding PMUFW components. In 2018.x PetaLinux mrproper option deletes components/plnx_workspace directory

$ petalinux-build -x mrproper

5. Rebuilding PMUFW components

$ petalinux-build -c pmufw

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

@sandeepg,

@stephenm,

Thank you both for your responses.

Following sandeepg's instructions:

The build does succeed however the patch is not applied.

The file that I am attempting to patch is:

<proj-dir>/components/plnx_workspace/pmu-firmware/pmu-firmware_bsp/psu_pmu_0/libsrc/xilfpga_v4_1/src/xilfpga_pcap.c

I can hand edit this file to see my changes take effect but I'm not able to utilize the petalinux tool to apply a patch to it. I created the patch from the git repository for that file. Perhaps it's malformed when I bring it in to petalinux? If that were the case i would expect it to attempt to patch and print a failure message.

j

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

This is working now.

I followed @sandeepg's instructions for the most part but I created the pmu-firmware_%.bbappend file but with the following changes:

I commented out the debug flags because their output was spamming the terminal.

Also:

EXTERNALXSCTsrc=""

was changed to:

EXTERNALXSCTsrc="" <--- This should be all caps and for some reason refuses do display properly.

I've attached my final pmu-firmware_%.bbappend file. 

The other issue was that the file directory structure in the patch file was incorrect and the patch was not being applied. My working patch looks like this:

diff -urN a/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c b/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c
--- a/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c  2018-09-19 18:31:07.579861515 -0400
+++ b/lib/sw_services/xilfpga/src/xilfpga_pcap.c  2018-09-20 14:26:37.472384082 -0400
@@ -413,6 +413,9 @@
    goto END;
  }

+
+ //testing patches
+
  if (flags & XFPGA_SECURE_FLAGS)
 #ifdef XFPGA_SECURE_MODE
  {

I'll mark this as the complete answer to my issue but kudos to @sandeepg and @stephenm for their assistance.

Thanks guys!

FYI: @sandeepg

I noticed that entering text in the Rich Text tab and then previewing the results was sometimes lowercasing some of the text. In your case it lowercased the src in EXTERNALXSCTsrc="". You can see this in the preview. I noticed it because i was previewing my changes and I realized that I can not post a fully capitol EXTERNALXSCTsrc="" and see it displayed properly. That is why I had to attach the bbappend file. I'm not sure why I'm experiencing this.

j

View solution in original post

0 Kudos