UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Petalinux DHCP setup

Participant

Petalinux DHCP setup

Hi,

i work currently with the Vivado Zynq SpeedWay Petalinux Workshop.

After hours of hard fights with linux i get it working :)

I tried to boot via DHCP server on the host, but my Zedboard was not able download the image.ub file. 

I found no documentation about setting up this DHCP server for Petalinux / Zedboard.

I use Linux Centos7.

I tried some tutorials about seeting up a DHCP server but nothing works.
My Linux Host and the Zedboard are connected to my Network where is a Router, could this be a problem?

I'm very new to linux, i hope you can help me.

Thanks

Max

Scholar

Re: Petalinux DHCP setup

Hi Max,

It sounds like you are confused about DHCP or I'm misunderstanding what you're doing. DHCP is a protocol to allow you to get an IP address from a server rather than using a static IP address.

This has nothing to do with downloading the image.ub from the host, that would be using TFTP in u-boot.

It seems like you need to step back to some of the basics to get a better understanding. I'm not sure what you're real goal is at this point.

Thanks
John

Participant

Hi,

thanks for you fast answer.

Yeah i'm a litte bit confused:)

In some tutorials they first set up a dhcp server than a ftp server an finaly the uboot on the zedboard "or whatever" was able to download the desired image.ub.

Why do they first setup a dhcp server?

I also tried to get a tftp server running on my centos host but uboot was not able to download the image.

My goal is that the uboot loader is able to download the image.ub file over ethernet.

Like they do in the Petalinux Speedway Workshop 02.

Thanks

Max

Scholar

Hi Max,

It may not be on purpose, just how they did it. I'm assuming you are planning to do a lot of kernel changes so that you believe it will be easier TFTPing the kernel to the board. If you're not making a lot of kernel changes then just using the SD card is easiest.

For TFTP you need to setup a TFTP server on your host and that's likely not documented as it varies from host to host and that's you're responsibility to know how to do that.

Your sort of jumping in to more advanced flows for someone without any experience. You can do that but you have a lot of learning to do and a good embedded Linux book would be a good place to start also.

Thanks
John
Participant

Hi John.

could you recommend a good embedded linux book?

I thougt the Speedway Workshop is for beginners, i dont understand why they

go this way and not the easiest way with sd card.

You're right i should first use a SD card.

Thank you very much

Max

Scholar

I have "Embedded Linux Primer" and "Building Embedded Linux Systems". I'm sure the Speedway Workshop assumes that you know some Linux or will learn some on your own as that's the way it works in the open source community.
Visitor

With the U-boot-petalinux, dhcp fails to get ip address from the server. Happens on many systems, even with the out of the box boards and fresh petalinux image downloads. Period.

Visitor

I agree with you, some instructions are not very clear in the tutorials but just like said you do not need the DHCP to download the image.ub. Here is an example of how to do it with out the DHCP.

1. Set the TFTP server on your host Linux computer. LINK

2. Reset the board and press any key to stop auto-boot 

3. Enter the IP address of your host computer (in my case 192.168.33.1)

U-Boot-PetaLinux> set serverip 192.168.33.1

4. Set the IP address for your board to communicate to your host computer

U-Boot-PetaLinux>set ipaddr 192.168.33.2                         

5. Download the image.ub

run netboot