UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor alibarzegar
Visitor

Petalinux + FreeRtos Problem

Jump to solution

I've just got a Zedboard, and I'm trying to get familar with Zynq. I already could install PetaLinux and Ubuntu Linaro on the chip by pre-built boot images.

Now I'm trying to use both cores using PetaLinux on one core, and FreeRtos on another core and make my own OS using Vivado 2014.4. I installed Petalinux on Ubuntu and followed UG978 tutorial. However, when I add PetaLinux user repository in XSDK in folder "<petalinux-path>/components/hardware/edk_user_repository" it cannot find any PetalLinux OS when adding new BSP. It seems the document is out of the date. All other examples are also out of date, or is designed for ISE.

I'm also to Linux too, so can someone help me with a an updated tuterial or design example, so I can understand what should I do to set up this system? I have gone through UG976, UG977, and UG978 not finding my answer!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor alibarzegar
Visitor

Re: Petalinux + FreeRtos Problem

Jump to solution

I finally couldn't find a way for the new version, so I switched backed to PetaLinux 2013.10 and Vivado 2013.4 and problem solved! I ran the demo RTOSAMP demo application, and it works perfectly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Visitor alibarzegar
Visitor

Jump to solution

I followed UG976, UG977, and UG978. I could already design a Petalinux project, build and package it, and boot it from SD card with the help of UG976 and UG977. when I followed UG978 for Petalinux 2014.4 and Vivado 2014.4, the document is out of the date. Because Xilinx has included the BSP in the PetaLinux itself and there is no need for building boot image from sdk.

It's been couple of days I'm searching all over the internet to find a straight forward tutorial or reference design for the new version of Vivado and PetaLinux, but no luck to find a way to add a FreeRTOS to the second core of the Zynq.

I also followed XAPP1078 "Simple AMP Running Linux and Bare-metal System on Zynq" but again the tcl script encounters error since the IP cores are out of date!

Is there any up-to-date document or  reference design for AMP use of Zynq!?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,
Moving to Embedded Linux board.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor alibarzegar
Visitor

Jump to solution

I finally couldn't find a way for the new version, so I switched backed to PetaLinux 2013.10 and Vivado 2013.4 and problem solved! I ran the demo RTOSAMP demo application, and it works perfectly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Jump to solution
UG978 has not yet been released for 2014.4. The last version of document release only works with PetaLinux 2013.10; however, an updated version of this document is in the pipeline.

Thanks.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

How long is your pipeline? :) We don't want to switch back to previous version, but our deadline is getting closer...

Is it worth waiting for the new document?

Thx

0 Kudos
Visitor alibarzegar
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi,
Sorry I didn't check back the thread! for me it was not more than couple of days. The main problem was to download and install all old tools again!
0 Kudos
Observer madison_a
Observer

Jump to solution

Getting ug978 to run on petalinux 2014.4 is actually not that bad. Albeit there are issues, which could have been just documented.

The device tree example is WRONG. Petalinux's base kernel is using more low level interrupts. Change ipino to 8.

That will permit the zynq_remoteproc module to fully initialize.

BUT, you're not done yet. The freertos demo source does not have its software interrupt handlers registered. Its a bug in port.c, again, in the freertos source.

Take the handler function address call it in xPortStartScheduler() just before the vPortISRStartFirstTask() call. This will complete the send interupt from core0 to core1's freertos, which then sends back a rpmsg response. The driver will complete the probe and set up the channel.

Now... I just found that you need to turn on the debugfs to access the circular trace buffer example. You'll find that under the petalinux-config -c kernel under Kernel hacking --> Compile-time checks and compiler options. Set Debug Filesystem to on.

You will then be able to mount the debugfs and access the circular trace buffer. Thanks for the documentation, Xilinx. NOT.