Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ambrown0430
Contributor
Contributor

Petalinux SD Boot freeze 2020

Jump to solution

I am trying to boot a custom board from an SD card. I generate the necessary files, according to the petalinux user guide and the embedded tutorial, but the boot process freezes at the first stage boot loader. Any idea of the source of this? I have the uart and sd enabled in the .xsa file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stephenm

Can you share the BIF image you used, or can you share how you created the boot image? Is there a uboot image here?

If this is all correct, then can you test the DDR? The uboot boots from DDR so, if there is an issue with the DDR, Then you will see issues here.

Can you see the blog series below where I discuss how to debug the arm trusted firmware and uboot in Vitis:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-and-Debug-Techniques-Blog/PetaLinux-Image-Debug-Series-Debugging-ARM-Trusted-Firmware-and/ba-p/1151076

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ambrown0430
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I attached a screenshot of where it freezes

terminal.JPG
0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @ambrown0430 

Will SD boot succeed if you create it with a standard flow as shown below?

$ petalinux-create -t project --template zynqMP -n myboard
$ cd myboard
$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<XSA dir>
$ petalinux-build
$ petalinux-package --boot --fsbl --pmufw --fpga --u-boot --force
copy BOOT.bin, boot.scr, image.ub to SD card.

or

Will SD boot succeed for baremetal app(hello world) instead of Linux?

Thank you.
Don't forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs
0 Kudos
stephenm

Can you share the BIF image you used, or can you share how you created the boot image? Is there a uboot image here?

If this is all correct, then can you test the DDR? The uboot boots from DDR so, if there is an issue with the DDR, Then you will see issues here.

Can you see the blog series below where I discuss how to debug the arm trusted firmware and uboot in Vitis:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-and-Debug-Techniques-Blog/PetaLinux-Image-Debug-Series-Debugging-ARM-Trusted-Firmware-and/ba-p/1151076

View solution in original post

ambrown0430
Contributor
Contributor

The DDR was not configured correctly in Vivado. Once configured correctly, all issues were resolved.

0 Kudos