UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor ronnywebers
Advisor

Petalinux U-boot enable DS2431 1-wire ID and eeprom

Jump to solution

I'd like to use a DS2431 1-wire ID and 1k eeprom device to identify my hardware, store MAC address, ... for use with field updates of my Zynq system.

1) is this possible from U-boot? 

2) if yes, how can I enable this in Petalinux? 

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Re: Petalinux U-boot enable DS2431 1-wire ID and eeprom

Jump to solution

From UBOOT you'll have to implement/steal a DS2431 driver from some place..   but for Linux, it's been in the kernel for quite a number of years.    You'll have to run the kernel config options and select it, or add W1_SLAVE_DS2431 to the config file.

The Wiki Entry on the I2C driver also shows another way, perhaps more direct:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Linux+I2C+Driver

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Jump to solution

From UBOOT you'll have to implement/steal a DS2431 driver from some place..   but for Linux, it's been in the kernel for quite a number of years.    You'll have to run the kernel config options and select it, or add W1_SLAVE_DS2431 to the config file.

The Wiki Entry on the I2C driver also shows another way, perhaps more direct:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Linux+I2C+Driver

View solution in original post

Advisor ronnywebers
Advisor

Jump to solution

thanks @jmcclusk, that's what I was looking for :-)

guess I'll need to patch the U-boot then if I want to do my field updates from U-boot over a network connection.

regarding the I2C : do you mean to use an 'ID chip' with I2C interface? Like for example Maxim DS28CM0 or Microchip 24AA256UID?

I'm a linux newbie, is there an easy way to find out if there are drivers for these devices in the kernel? do you perform a 'text string' search for example on 'DS2431' in a clone of the kernel code? 

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Jump to solution

a grep for "W1_SLAVE_DS2431" in the kernel config file will show you instantly if the driver is in your compiled kernel.  If it's not, you'll have to insert it and recompile.