UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Petalinux build hanging at "Starting kernel ..." after adding an app (CoraZ7-10)

Jump to solution

I'm just starting out with the CoraZ7-10 and having what seems like a weird issue.

I've followed the getting started stuff at https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Cora-Z7-10 to the letter and packaged up a BOOT.bin and image.ub that loads and boots fine. I now want to try a simple custom application, so followed the instructions to the letter in the section "Creating and Adding Custom Applications" (for a C++ app) in the Petalinux reference guide for 2017.4 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf), followed by the "Building User Application" section (as far as the 4 commands that are preceded by "To build myapp into an existing system image:"; I assumed the bulleted stuff after that is optional).

At the end of all that I have to re-run the petalinux-package command to get a BOOT.BIN and image.ub out as necessary.

However, when I use the files built at this point, the CoraZ7-10 gets stuck at "Starting kernel ...".

I'm hoping that someone can spot whether there's something I'm missing!

Please feel free to ask for more details; I'm new to this so, if there's something you need, you might have to tell me the command I need to use to get it (sorry about that).

For what it's worth, attached is a putty log that includes:

1) Booting the working image from tftp

2) Booting the non-working image from tftp

Something that looks particularly interesting to me is that, in the working one, the kernel info printed by the boot is:

Data Start: 0x100000d4
Data Size: 3748584 Bytes = 3.6 MiB
Architecture: ARM
Load Address: 0x00008000
Entry Point: 0x00008000

But the 2nd, non-working one, shows:

Data Start: 0x100000d4
Data Size: 1985376 Bytes = 1.9 MiB
Architecture: ARM
Load Address: 0x00008000
Entry Point: 0x00008000

i.e, the non-working kernel is much smaller. This made me wonder. so I built the original one, checked it worked, saved a backup of it, then tried running petalinux-config -c rootfs. Without changing any options, I came out of it then re-ran petalinux-build. The resulting image.ub got stuck at "Starting kernel ...". I compared the folder trees of the non-working version and the working version and it did appear that there are a load of kernel modules being missed out after using petalinux-config on the rootfs.

I then tried running petalinux-config -c kernel. Again, I didn't change anything in there but used esc-esc to get out before running petalinux-build again. This time the kernel booted on my target.

Can anyone tell me if there's something I've done wrong somewhere or is this normal behaviour on petalinux 2017.4 (I know; it's a bit old, but I wanted to use the same version as in the instructions to avoid any issues with mismatches).

John

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Petalinux build hanging at "Starting kernel ..." after adding an app (CoraZ7-10)

Jump to solution

Taking 

Based on the suggestion on the Digilent forum, the answer is:

1. Do the initial petalinux-build as described in the Digilent readme
  2. Do the petalinux-package as described in the Digilent readme
  3. Run petalinux-create -t apps --template c++ --name myapp --enable (as described un UG1144)
  4. Run petalinux-build -x mrproper
  5. Run petalinux-build

This does the job. It does seem weird that doing step 3 followed by step 5 results in a kernel with a shed-load of modules missing though!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Petalinux build hanging at "Starting kernel ..." after adding an app (CoraZ7-10)

Jump to solution

Hi jmccabe@kirintec.com ,

Have you checked your DDR by running DRAM tests from SDK?

Best Regards
Kranthi
--------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Taking 

Based on the suggestion on the Digilent forum, the answer is:

1. Do the initial petalinux-build as described in the Digilent readme
  2. Do the petalinux-package as described in the Digilent readme
  3. Run petalinux-create -t apps --template c++ --name myapp --enable (as described un UG1144)
  4. Run petalinux-build -x mrproper
  5. Run petalinux-build

This does the job. It does seem weird that doing step 3 followed by step 5 results in a kernel with a shed-load of modules missing though!

0 Kudos