Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simon.stephany
Visitor
Visitor

Petalinux installation does not recognize installed Python version

Jump to solution

I'm trying to install Petalinux. The installation process aborts with the error message:

ERROR: You have tools that don't meet the version requirements:

-Detected python version is less than the expected 2.7.3

But python 2.7.18 is installed. What can cause this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
simon.stephany
Visitor
Visitor

A new version of Ubuntu changed how the command 'python' is run. dpkg therefor was no longer able to find the package 'python'. Added the pseudo package 'python' in /var/lib/dpkg/status and the installation finished successfully.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
smahalle
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @simon.stephany,

Could you please share which version you are trying to install. You can refer to UG1144 of the respective version where we have mentioned the installation requirement in chapter 2. below are the links for 2019.2 and 2020.1 petalinux user guide.

UG1144 v 2019.2
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

UG1144 v2020.1
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

Thanks & Regards,

Shubhangi

0 Kudos
simon.stephany
Visitor
Visitor

I'm trying to install 2019.1 

message during installation attached.

python error.jpg
0 Kudos
simon.stephany
Visitor
Visitor

A new version of Ubuntu changed how the command 'python' is run. dpkg therefor was no longer able to find the package 'python'. Added the pseudo package 'python' in /var/lib/dpkg/status and the installation finished successfully.

View solution in original post

Hello,

I have got your same problem you encountered but I am not a true professional Linux user. Could you please share the procedure to add a new pseudo package in dpkg status? Thank you in advance for your understanding.

0 Kudos
simon.stephany
Visitor
Visitor

You open the file in my post and create an entry with the name python following the scheme of the other entries and Give it the respective version number. The big problem with this is that it might render this os useless for future use as the is a very dirty workaround that f**ks with low-level package manager. I have done it on a VM.

Thank you for your fast reply.

I have followed your advice and everything worked. 

For public information: copying the whole python3 entry and changing the main name with 'python' was enough for making the installation successful.

0 Kudos