UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

Petalinux license

I am trying to use Petalinux. I have done the install but when I try to install the bsp it complains about the license

ERROR: No valid PetaLinux features! Typical causes for this error are
either that there is no license file or that license files, which were
found, do not contain a valid license with the required feature.

I have obtained an eval license and have installed it in the license manager. I think the problem may be that I am using ISE in Windows and have Linux running using VMware player in Windows. So I guess Linux doesnt know about any license. So is there a way to import the license into Linux as I dont want to run ISE in Linux.

Thanks

Jon

13 Replies
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

Re: Petalinux license

Just seen that you are supposed to create a directory <home>/.Xilinx then copy the license file. Well I have done this but it is still complaining.
0 Kudos
Visitor anthony86
Visitor

same problem for me...

0 Kudos
Visitor anthony86
Visitor

Do you have a solution ?

0 Kudos
Newbie yhmtmt

I've been in the same error yesterday.

My error was in host ID generating license file.

Host ID in the license file must be MAC address of  your Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Same issue here...I ran the web lilcense tool to get a new license file on my Linux partition and copied to $HOME/.Xilinx - When I run xlcm it show petalinux in the list, so I have no clue why petalinux is complaining.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Yes - You have to use hardware ID that your Linux host (running on the VM in this case) believes to be true.

From http://www.xilinx.com/getlicense  after I select the PetaLinux SDK Evaluation License, and then clicking "Generate Node Locked License", I select "Add a host" at the next screen. 

License.JPG

Then, I define a new host, selecting Ethernet MAC and entering the value shown by running ifconfig on my PetaLinux-host Linux (running within a VM an my Win7 box).

License2.JPG

Click through a couple more screens to complete your license. Once that is done look for the file in your email or look for the icons near the bottom of the page:

License4.JPG

These icons will let you email the license or display/copy/paste.

However you get the text for your license file, drop the license contents into a file named petalinux.lic at  ~/.Xilinx 

You should be good to go from here.

I hope this helps!

Dave

0 Kudos
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

0 Kudos
Newbie svet.am

------------------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm still having problems getting the license to work... Continuing to get the "bad license signature" error. I have the proper license file with the right hostid and name in .Xilinx, I'm not using a VM but rather a native install of Ubuntu 12.04 on the development box. What could be the problem?

The installer sees my license file, copies it into .PetaLogix, but won't validate it. The license is clearly visible in the Xilinx license viewer as PetaLogix no-support, and is marked green.

0 Kudos
Newbie mbep

Hello,

I'm also having trouble with the license file. The MAC address of my virtual machine matches the  HOSTID in the license file.

Following different suggestions on the web I copied the license file to

- $HOME/.Xilinx

- $HOME/.xilinx

- $HOME/.PetaLinux

- $HOME/.PetaLogix

I assume .PetaLinux is used, as here the empty file .PetaLinux_data gets added.

But still, running the command:

petalinux-create -t project -s ../xilinx/Xilinx-ZC702-v2013.10-final.bsp

results in "ERROR: No valid PetaLinux features! Typical causes ..."

I don't have ISE or Vivado installed. So no xlcm to check the license this way.

Thanks for you help

Markus

0 Kudos
Observer svenand
Observer

Here is how I did it. See my blog "Zynq design from scratch" for more information.

Sven

0 Kudos
Newbie mbep

Hello Sven.

Thanks for the link. I had found your step by step instruction before asking here in the forum. Unfortunately none this had helped.

Today I changed the license multiple times.

- instead of IP used the hostname

- used solaris license, as fedora’s hostid is neither the MAC nor the mangled IP.

Nothing worked :-(

I then installed the “License Management Tools” mentioned in some Xilinx FAQ.But it looks like this works only with the flex license manager.

As a last resorted I removed everything I had installed, to follow your exact steps. This time also starting with installing Vivado, as this contains a license manager.

And there it was! Under “System Information” the NIC ID was listed as 000000000000.

I assume this is because Fedore ifconfig names the MAC not “HWaddr” but “ether”.

After requesting again a license, this time with the hostid 000000000000, and installing PetaLinux again, it worked!

Thanks

Markus

0 Kudos
Visitor oscar_sch
Visitor

Nowhere in that manual, nor the licence document it links, does it actually explain any of this.

0 Kudos