UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Petalinux software needs to switching from one platform to another

I have a petalinux project that I'd like to be able to switch from one hardware definition file to another.

More specifically, I'd like to be able to build my software sometimes for a Trenz TE0808 ultrascale module, and other times for a zcu102 development board.  

The trenz module has a different meta-user/recipes-bsp/device-tree/files/system-user.dtsi and meta-user/recipes-bsp/u-boot/files/platform-top.h - though I have my own changes to system-user.dtsi that need to play nicely with whatever trenz needs.

I currently use petalinux, and in between each build-type I remove build/ components/ and project-spec/meta-plnx-generated/.  I then have to manually place the appropriate platform-top.h and system-user.dtsi files.

I've procrastinated looking in to yocto.  I'm not really familiar with it, but I wonder if it might be able to handle these types of changes more easily?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Petalinux software needs to switching from one platform to another

HI @aaron_b1 

Please create a two petalinux projects, so that it will easy to build & no need to copy required files every  build.  and we can avoid unneccessary issues.

Thanks & regadrs

Aarvind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

If the only difference is devicetree nodes then you could patch the dtg to include your dtsi file ( like is done for dev boards). Then just reference this in the petalinux-config -> DTG settings.

Same would apply for yocto 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I'm sorry, I really don't understand your answer.

"patch the dtg to include your dtsi file"
By putting a system-user.dtsi in recipes-bsp/device-tree, aren't I already doing this?

"Then just reference this in the petalinux-config -> DTG settings"

I'm not familiar with this.  What does "DTG" stand for here, and what does selecting this do in the petalinux config?

0 Kudos

DTG is the device tree generator. You can update this in the system-user.dtsi. However, if you want to automate this per board. You can add your board.dtsi to the dtg and create a patch

git clone https://github.com/Xilinx/device-tree-xlnx

cd device-tree-xlnx

git checkout xilinx-v2018.3

Place your board dtsi files here

device_tree/data/kernel_dtsi/2018.3/BOARDS

git diff xilinx_v2018.3 < 0001_add_custom_dtsi.patch

Place this patch in the files dir in fsbl recipe and update the fsbl  bbappend to use this SRC_URI_append += " file://0001_add_custom_dtsi.patch"

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks,  This sounds handy.

Does this patching technique work if the device tree information I have is a small segment of a device tree?  For instance, when building for the ZCU102, all I have is a fragment in system-user.dtsi that would tell the PTP driver what frequency the timestamping clock is.

/include/ "system-conf.dtsi"
/ {
};
/ {
        amba {
                ethernet@ff0e0000 {
                        tsu-clk = <250000000>;
                };
    };
};

In the other board, based on a Trenz module, I keep the previous little segment, and add a bunch of text provided by the trenz sample project.  I have no idea how much  of it is critical

/* default */
/* SD */
&sdhci1 {
        // disable-wp;
        no-1-8-v;
};
/* ETH PHY */

&gem3 {
        phy-handle = <&phy0>;
        phy0: phy0@1 {
                device_type = "ethernet-phy";
                reg = <1>;
        };
};

/* QSPI */
&qspi {
    #address-cells = <1>;
    #size-cells = <0>;
    status = "okay";
    flash0: flash@0 {
        // compatible = "n25q256a";
        reg = <0x0>;
        #address-cells = <1>;
        #size-cells = <1>;
    };
};

/* I2C */
&i2c0 {
    i2cswitch@73 { // u
        compatible = "nxp,pca9548";
        #address-cells = <1>;
        #size-cells = <0>;
        reg = <0x73>;
        i2c-mux-idle-disconnect;

The *.dtsi in device_tree/data/kernel_dtsi/2017.3/BOARD/ look like they are FULL device trees.

0 Kudos