UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mbrando
Visitor

Petalinux tool chain fails to generate

Hi everyone!

First of all, I am super new to the topic and really look forward to hearing from experienced users like you! I hope that my problem is an easy one to solve.

I work with Vivado 2018.3 and I am trying to implement hardware containing several video processing cores on an ZCU104.

Therefore I am trying to use my .hdf as input for the petalinux 2018.3 tool chain. Unfortunately, the output does not work on my ZCU.

Following my -beginner's- research, I suppose that because of the video cores, the generated device tree is corrupt.

Is that correct? If so, how can I fix my corrupt device tree?

Kind Regards

Malo

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Petalinux tool chain fails to generate

Read the following document to see if you are missing anything in the flow

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

To modify device tree nodes of Xilinx IP cores, find the bindings recognized by Xilinx kernel under

https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/tree/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings

To give us some clue about the issue please share the kernel boot log and your current device tree (system-user.dtsi & pl.dtsi).

Visitor mbrando
Visitor

Hi baltintop,

thanks for your kind reply!

I have got to admit that I made a mistake describing my problem: The tool chain crashes while trying to create a device tree, e.g. before even putting it onto the ZCU104. This problem also occurs when I try to create the device tree with the SDK. 

Please find attached the crashed tool chain's log file and the .hdf.

Thanks in advance!

Malo

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried the solution provided in this link?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/72366.html

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

With PetaLinux 2019.1 petalinux-build runs without error.

I attached pl.dtsi for reference. You can overwrite your device tree by adding the changes to system-user.dtsi.

Screenshot from 2019-10-29 17-44-57.png

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a chance you're forgetting to specify the device name since you're not providing a BSP and using HDF instead?

Please check your config file located under <petalinux_project_dir>/project-spec/configs and confirm that the device name is correct.

CONFIG_SUBSYSTEM_MACHINE_NAME="zcu104-revc"

If not, run

petalinux-config

go to DTG Settings -> MACHINE NAME and change the name to

zcu104-revc

can you post your HDF file please? I will have a quick look and see what the issue might be

However, the commands for the HDF flow should be:

• petalinux-create -t project --template zynqMP --name zcu104_linux
  • cd zcu104_linux
  • petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<path to hdf>
    • In the petalinux config, go to DTG settings -> (zcu104-revc) MACHINE_NAME
  • petalinux-build
  • cd images/linux
  • petalinux-package --boot --fpga system.bit --u-boot

However, if you have issues in your hdf that are cuasing issues in the DTG, then these need to be addressed.

If you post the HDF, I can take a quick look.

Contributor
Contributor

@stephenm 

He has posted the HDF and PetaLinux log file. I successfully built a project using that HDF and shared the screenshot.

Visitor mbrando
Visitor

Hi stephenm, hi baltintop,

We precisely followed your instructions. Thank you very much.

But unfortunately, the problem persists: several minutes after starting the petalinux-build command, the process crashes again.

At the moment we are still using 2018.3 petalinux. Now we are going to update to 2019.1 to see if that is the root of all evil. We will keep you updated!

For some reason we cannot attach the .hdf directly to this post. Please find it packed in the attached zip, together with the corresponding log file. 

0 Kudos