UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petalinux without sources from Git

Jump to solution

Hello,

Is it possible to use petalinux without depending on the sources on the git server? Like fetching the sources just for the first time and then using them until another "fetch" command, not automatically.

My purpose is that I just don't like the file structure of the current petalinux projects. Sometimes I need to edit the sources but all of them are under some "git" prefixed folders; additionally I cannot make sure if my modifications will be saved or will be overwritten by a fetch.

Regards,

Dosto

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Petalinux without sources from Git

Jump to solution

Hi @f.m.dostoevsky-the-embedder

If you dont want to fetch source codes always then better change the configuration to pick the source codes from local repository, so that it will not fetch from GitHub.

Please follow below build steps for External source using petalinux:

1. petalinux-config and go to -> Linux Components Selection  ---> linux-kernel (ext-local-src)
                External linux-kernel local source settings  --->/aravind_working_dir/source_code/my_xlnx (EXternal  linux-kernel local source path)

2. Go to -> Auto Config Settings and select Specify a manual device tree include directory and enter the path to the new kernel include directory.

Auto Config Settings  ---> [*] Specify a manual device tree include directory
        (/aravind_working_dir/source_code/my_xlnx/arch/arm64/boot/dts/include) Manual device tree include directory

3.  Save and exit petalinux-config

4.  petalinux-build

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @f.m.dostoevsky-the-embedder

If you dont want to fetch source codes always then better change the configuration to pick the source codes from local repository, so that it will not fetch from GitHub.

Please follow below build steps for External source using petalinux:

1. petalinux-config and go to -> Linux Components Selection  ---> linux-kernel (ext-local-src)
                External linux-kernel local source settings  --->/aravind_working_dir/source_code/my_xlnx (EXternal  linux-kernel local source path)

2. Go to -> Auto Config Settings and select Specify a manual device tree include directory and enter the path to the new kernel include directory.

Auto Config Settings  ---> [*] Specify a manual device tree include directory
        (/aravind_working_dir/source_code/my_xlnx/arch/arm64/boot/dts/include) Manual device tree include directory

3.  Save and exit petalinux-config

4.  petalinux-build

Thanks & regards

Aravind

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Highlighted
Visitor johnceni
Visitor

Jump to solution

Xilinx provides prebuilt images with every software release and additionally Targeted Reference Designs. 

Jump to solution

If you are looking for more control over your sources, then you can use the Out of Tree Builds, see Chapter 9:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

If you want to build a linux image, without Petalinux, then you can use the OSL flow covered in the wiki:

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841722/ZCU102+Image+creation+in+OSL+flow

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Re:

If you want to build a linux image, without Petalinux, then you can use the OSL flow covered in the wiki:

This worked great for me btw when I had the same question