Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Petalinx 2019.1 Failed to generate meta-plnx-generated layer

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why the petalinux-config step fails to generate meta-plnx-generated layer?

Is there someway to debug why the failure occurs by looking at a log file?

Output:

johnnie@johnnie-VirtualBox:/media/sf_PetaLinux/arty_petalinux$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description ../PetaLinux.sdk --oldconfig
WARNING: --oldconfig will be deprecated in the feature releases,Please use --silentconfig.
INFO: Getting hardware description...
INFO: Rename system_wrapper.hdf to system.hdf
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project
INFO: Updating the flash partition size to 0x200000 bytes, based on the bitstream in the HDF
[INFO] silentconfig project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
[INFO] generating plnxtool conf
[INFO] generating meta-plnx-generated layer
ERROR: Failed to generate meta-plnx-generated layer
ERROR: Failed to config project.
ERROR: Get hw description Failed!.

Thanks,

Johnnie White

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Think I resolved the issue.  I was using a VirtualBox folder share and either it didn't like the fact that it was on a NTFS partition, file ownership or file permissions.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I met the same issue. Looks like the reason is petalinux-config can only use python2.7, but my default link to python is python3.7 from anaconda3.

My solution is creating a virtual env by conda, and use petalinux-config in it. 

conda create --name petalinux python=2.7
conda activate petalinux
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hello Zinnc,

I have same issue on Ubutu 18.04 and Python 2.7.5.

Do we need conda ? 

Please guide me 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

So what did you do to resolve the issue 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I was using a VirtualBox folder share and either it didn't like the fact that it was on a NTFS partition, file ownership or file permissions. However, I wouldn’t rule out the python issue as described by another user.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi all,

I had this same problem "Failed to generate meta-plnx-generated layer" in Petalinux 2019.2.

I've tried many things, I had everything stored in ext4, I made chown and chmod 755 to whole project and did not solve the problem. Only way was to create a new project !

I was suspecting then that plnx either might didn't like finding foreign files in /meta-plnx-generated or could not delete such folder for regeneration.

I thought then that I use Atom.io, like Eclipse and others, I had whole project opened in it, and that bothers plnx. So I excluded /meta-plnx-generated, I only have now /meta-user folder as project to work with apps. Then it's not blocked anymore, works like charm.

Enjoy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I think you are right. I guess plnx probably needs the exclusive access to the generated layer folder or something more tricky but similar? I also got this problem with the entire project opened in sublime text, but it went away after I closed sublime text. This also explains why it happens to the shared folder in VirtualBox.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

What exactly did you do to "exclude" meta-plnx-generated?  I'm having the same problem, I've checked my Python version, and I have the meta-plnx-generated directory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello,

I've just closed (removed) project inside Atom.io; then instead of adding whole petalinux project folder, I've only added /meta-user folder, so then leaving /meta-plnx-generated closed (or without reach from Atom.io).

Now I have a new insight, I think it is Atom.io Git module that surveys /meta-plnx-generated folder, because I added this folder to .gitignore file and then I was able to open whole project in my Atom instance.

So if you are not using something like Atom or Sublime, you might have a Git process surveying your /meta-plnx-generated folder.

I hope it is clear and that helps you, enjoy

Lucas.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks.  My solution was to run this command:

$ sudo sysctl -n -w fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288

which I got from reading the build/config.log file.  Now to find out what "watches" are...