UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Linux on Zynq XC7Z010

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am starting a project where I will use a Zynq XC7Z010.

I am planning to port a Linux distribution to the Zynq's ARM side. However, as I don’t have too much experience in this process, I decide to write this post searching for clarification.

1. Could you please give me some guidance about how to port Linux to my SoC device? Moreover, I notice in the Zynq-7000 SoC Technical Reference Manual (UG585) that my device does not support boot via SD Card. So, I would like to use a Quad-SPI. If you have additional recommendation about it, please let me know.
  2. Considering that I already have a Linux distribution running stable my device, how could I access the register of my device to write/or read to the MIO/EMIO signals?
  3. When the Linux boot, it would automatically output data via UART or Ethernet Controller? How could I access the system terminal via a host PC?

Thanks in advance!

Luis

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Porting Linux on Zynq XC7Z010

Jump to solution

(1) Might be worth going to the CLG400 package so you can boot from SD card. That way you can always upgrade to the much bigger Zynq 7020 if required. As for porting Linux - what are your requirements? For embedded work Xilinx already has Petalinux ready to go for Zynqs, and for a more desktop environment (not that the Zynq is much good as a desktop CPU, lacking a GPU) there's Linaro.

(2) The approach I've always used is to map the address space of the devices into the user address space with mmap, and then you can work with the registers directly.

(3) You normally get the console output over a UART. Most of the development boards include a USB-UART chip for this purpose.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

(1) Might be worth going to the CLG400 package so you can boot from SD card. That way you can always upgrade to the much bigger Zynq 7020 if required. As for porting Linux - what are your requirements? For embedded work Xilinx already has Petalinux ready to go for Zynqs, and for a more desktop environment (not that the Zynq is much good as a desktop CPU, lacking a GPU) there's Linaro.

(2) The approach I've always used is to map the address space of the devices into the user address space with mmap, and then you can work with the registers directly.

(3) You normally get the console output over a UART. Most of the development boards include a USB-UART chip for this purpose.

View solution in original post

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi

Porting Linux kernel on Zynq/other board is pretty long if we are not having any information, other side

it is very simple if we have proper board info files, .defconfig file (Supports hardware & kernel configs).

In our case, please Digilent embedded system linux guide which provides step by step procedure to port the Zynq liunx kernel on Zynq board.

1.Hardware Customization

2. Device Tree – Describe Your Hardware to the Linux Kernel

3. U-Boot – The Embedded Boot Loader

4.Linux Kernel Configuration.

https://reference.digilentinc.com/_media/digilent_embedded_linux_guide.pdf

this provides good information with Minimal porting.

Provide kudos if post is helpful

Thanks & Regards

Satish G 

G Satish Kumar

Jump to solution

Hello @u4223374 

Thanks for your reply!

In my first looks to the Technical Reference Manual UG585 (v1.12.2), I found this information about SD card boot:Capture.JPG

Reading the text again and based in your reply, I think that the first note could be ambiguous and I had the wrong interpretation: Firstly, I understood that all the 7Z010 dual core devices won’t boot by SD card. But now I see that maybe they want to say that only the CLG225 package of the 7Z010 dual core devices won’t have SD card boot support, but the CLG400 will have it. Is that right?

Thanks about your others comments, I will take a look!

Luis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

That is correct (with regards to SD boot). The CLG225 package can't boot from SD, but the CLG400 can.