cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hungrymyst
Visitor
Visitor

Problems compiling kernel

I've been having problems compiling the linux-2.6-xlnx kernel for microblaze. I've been following the instructions at xilinx.wikidot.com but when I start compiling it fails with the error:

arch/microblaze/pci/pci-common.c: In function 'pcibios_setup_bus_devices':
arch/microblaze/pci/pci-common.c:1080: error: 'struct dev_archdata' has no member named 'of_node'

If i go into pci-common.c and comment out the offending line (I know, that's not how this works, but just to try) the compile fails again with:

In file included from drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c:308:
drivers/usb/host/ehci-q.c: In function 'qh_completions':
drivers/usb/host/ehci-q.c:391: warning: format '%zu' expects type 'size_t', but argument 4 has type 'unsigned int'
drivers/usb/host/ehci-q.c:391: warning: format '%zu' expects type 'size_t', but argument 5 has type 'unsigned int'
In file included from drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c:1102:
drivers/usb/host/ehci-pci.c: In function 'ehci_pci_setup':
drivers/usb/host/ehci-pci.c:90: error: implicit declaration of function 'pci_set_consistent_dma_mask'

It feels like I missed something small, but the only helpful information that I've been able to find is on xilinx.wikidot.com and these fourms, and I can't find a solution. It's like I'm the only person with this problem... I'm using the latest version of openSUSE, but I also tried using the latest version of CentOS without any luck (same problem).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
linnj
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are you sure you're using the right GNU tools and the right command line to build it?

You didn't give any of those details, but they're on the Microblaze wiki at http://xilinx.wikidot.com.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
hungrymyst
Visitor
Visitor

After spending the weekend working on this I managed to get the kernel running on my board (the Spartan 3E development board). The problem I mentioned here was solved by using: 

make ARCH=microblaze xilinx_mmu_defconfig

I hadn't tried this command before because the instructions seemed to suggest that it would only be useful if I had the ML507 board. The wiki really should also make it clear that you can't launch XMD from within your XPS project, because if you do it will complain about the elf file referencing memory addresses that aren't used in the hardware design.

0 Kudos
pierre_usb
Visitor
Visitor

Hello,

I have problems compiling kernel, I compile for Microblaze. I configure the kernel with xilinx_mmu_defconfig and I add PCI support because without PCI support I can't have acces to USB Host support.

I have this error :

error.JPG

Why this error and why have I to add PCI support to have access to USB Host support ?

Thank you for your help.

Pierre

0 Kudos