cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Proper TERM type for "petalinux-config -c kernel" on Ubuntu 18.04.3 system?

Jump to solution

On my development Ubuntu 18.04.3 system, if I run just "petalinux-config", I get a perfectly formed (and sizable) configuration menu -- everything rendered properly. OTOH, if I run "petalinux-config -c kernel", the new terminal that pops up is a miniscule 24x80, and rendered horribly with lots of black and white lines; I've attached two pics, the first the initial window, the second after I scroll up and down to at least get the menu entries to appear.

Currently, TERM=xterm-256color, so I'm assuming there is a better choice for TERM that would resolve this. Thoughts?

rdaymenu1.pngmenu2.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

You could try going into the kernel build directory (or just untarr a fresh copy of the kernel) and run "make menuconfig" -- see if it behaves the same way. I'm doing that daily on various distros including Ubuntu 18.04.

I have seen various issues with buggy terminal emulators over the years though...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @rpjday 

We have tested petalinux on ubuntu 18.04.1 and listed all the required packages needed in the below petalinux 2019.1 release note (Attached spreadsheet in answer record)

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/72293.html

Try installing gawk & screen packages and see if that helps

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

They're both installed.

rday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Keep in mind that I'm running PetaLinux 2019.2 on Ubuntu 18.04.3, so it's entirely possible that either of those two uprevs from what you mention could be causing the problem.

rday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Any of TERM=xterm, xterm-256color, screen, screen-256color, vt100, vt102 should work fine. (With vt100 it will be monochrome, but otherwise functional).

Which terminal emulator are you using? There are several programs you can use to verify your terminal emulator, such as "vttest" and "ncurses-example"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

It's currently xterm-256color -- I've tried a number of settings. Oddly, both "petalinux-config" and "petalinux-config -c rootfs" work file, it's "petalinux-config -c kernel" that causes the problem. It's like there's something *specifically* with the kernel configuration that's making a mess of things.

rday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

You could try going into the kernel build directory (or just untarr a fresh copy of the kernel) and run "make menuconfig" -- see if it behaves the same way. I'm doing that daily on various distros including Ubuntu 18.04.

I have seen various issues with buggy terminal emulators over the years though...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
Can you please point me to the directory path from where i need to run make menuconfig. Even i have similar issue
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@shadadis wrote:
Can you please point me to the directory path from where i need to run make menuconfig. Even i have similar issue

Here is one way to determine the directory... this assumes you've built the kernel successfully at least once:

find -name System.map

The directory containing System.map is the top of the kernel source. You can run "make menuconfig" in that same directory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

This really is not an answer. Something is different in 2019.2.

The bootloader config menu works just fine. It is the kernel config menu that is screwed up.

I have TERM=xterm, and this menu worked with 2018.2 and 2018.3 - 2018.3 just a few days ago on the very same box.

I was able to work past the menu by riding the up and down arrows to paint each menu and answer the questions, but it's very annoying. And it will be about 12 hours before know that it worked (or one of the other hundred things that could go wrong go wrong...)

From the manual:

For petalinux-config -c, sometimes when the kernel and U-Boot BitBake try to open a new terminal inside, they fail. The following are the possible error messages: 1. ERROR: Unable to spawn new terminal 2. ERROR: Continuing the execution without opening the terminal Chapter 12: Technical FAQs UG1144 (v2019.2) October 30, 2019 www.xilinx.com PetaLinux Tools Documentation Reference Guide 123 Send Feedback The solutions can be: 1. Use ssh -X . 2. Uncomment the OE_TERMINAL line in /project-spec/metauser/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf. You can set any terminal which suits you. For more details, see Chapter 11: Yocto Features. You have to change the OE_TERMINAL as it is not able to get through default. Uncomment the OE_TERMINAL in / project-spec/meta-user/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf and set it to xterm or screen. For this, you are required to have the corresponding utility installed in your PC.

The commented line is #OE_TERMINAL=tmux, which is a screen-like thing I've never seen before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

While it won't be of much comfort for those who are having problems... It works fine for me here, on Ubuntu 18.04.4, all updates applied. I tested it with gnome-terminal as well xterm clients. And I've tried TERM=xterm, TERM=xterm-256color, TERM=screen (inside tmux). In all cases "petalinux-config -c kernel" displays a normal kernel config menu. I have not fiddled with OE_TERMINAL or anything else inside petalinux, just did "source settings.sh". My system locale is set to "en_US.UTF-8".

Also, @redgatorsmp a basic build here takes much less than 12 hours... largely due to the 8GB of precompiled stuff that is included in the 2019.2 release. I actually wish there was an option to download without this, and fetch only what I need, but that's another matter.

0 Kudos