Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surya_ks
Observer
Observer

QSPI booting through petalinux

Jump to solution

Hello Sir / Mam

I want to boot FPGA for my custom board through qspi for tesing GEM2 interface. For the same, we need to enable Ethernet switch IC KSZ9897. But, Petalinux is not showing this IC, as shown in the snapshot attached in this mail. It is showing some other switch IC. Could you please how to add KSZ 9897 in Petalinux? 

Thank you

switch.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rfs613
Scholar
Scholar

Your last screenshot looks a bit strange... It should look like this:

dsa.png

The same menu should appear in both 4.14 and 4.19 kernels. Perhaps your window needs to be a bit larger (wider)?

Alternatively, you could manually edit the kernel .config file, to enable CONFIG_MICROCHIP_KSZ setting. Note that it depends on also having enabled CONFIG_NETDEVICES and CONFIG_NET_DSA options.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rfs613
Scholar
Scholar

Linux kernel 4.14 does not formally support the KSZ 9897, but it does support the KSZ 9477.

Support can be enabled using CONFIG_MICROCHIP_KSZ which can be found under:
    Device Drivers → Network device support → Distributed Switch Architecture drivers → Microchip KSZ series switch support

Linux kernel 4.19 formally added support for the 9897. However it looks like the difference is pretty tiny, just a different chip id and some parameters. So if you wish to stay on the 4.14 kernel, you will need to backport [1] a small patch to your kernel.

I would of course recommend updating to kernel 4.19 or newer [2]

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?id=45316818371d1fb3ecbffa4d4a2d0550e1822e92

[2] https://www.kernel.org/

0 Kudos
Surya_ks
Observer
Observer

Helloo 

Thank you for your reply. i installed  petalinux 2019.1 version (linux  kernel 4.19) but still not showing any option for enabling the switch ic support 1000G .anyone  can you help me to find out  solution.

switch_4.19.png
0 Kudos
rfs613
Scholar
Scholar

Your last screenshot looks a bit strange... It should look like this:

dsa.png

The same menu should appear in both 4.14 and 4.19 kernels. Perhaps your window needs to be a bit larger (wider)?

Alternatively, you could manually edit the kernel .config file, to enable CONFIG_MICROCHIP_KSZ setting. Note that it depends on also having enabled CONFIG_NETDEVICES and CONFIG_NET_DSA options.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Surya_ks
Observer
Observer

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply , is really helpful .now i can enable the ksz series switches as per your reply . my ic is ksz9897 that will support 1000G , but here  in Ethernet support i only supporting 10/100G,can u help me to enable 1000G .

Thank you

100g_qspi.png
0 Kudos
rfs613
Scholar
Scholar

The KSZ9897 is an ethernet switch that can operate at 10/100/1000Mbit (there is no 1000G yet...)

Separately you will have an ethernet controller (often called EMAC or GEM) that connects to one of the ports on the switch. There are several possible controllers and each has its own driver:

• Zynq include several tri-mode (10/100/1000Mbit) ethernet controllers as hard-IP blocks.
    • This is based on IP from Cadence and is supported by the Macb driver.
  • In the programmable logic (PL) it is possible to instantiate ethernet controllers.
    • The Emaclite driver (which you have highlighted in screenshot above) is a simpler EMAC that supports 10/100M only.
    • The AXI ethernet driver (next option below) is a much larger IP which supports 10/100/1000M and optionally even higher rates.
    • There are other 3rd party IP which could be used

So you should determine which EMAC controller you are using: the hard-IP built into the Zynq, or a soft-IP in the FPGA.
For soft-IP you will need to know which IP is in the FPGA, so you can select the appropriate driver.

0 Kudos