UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Recent Xilinx Kernel (xilinx-v2017.1) fails to detect SD card in Xilinx QEMU

For some reason the xilinx-v2017.1 branch of the kernel fails to detect the SD card in QEMU and thus is unable to mount the root filesystem. Here is a small script which builds the kernel and QEMU from the Xilinx sources and creates an SD card image from Arch Linux for the Zedboard.

qemu-xlnx.git/aarch64-softmmu/qemu-system-aarch64 -M arm-generic-fdt-7series -machine linux=on -serial /dev/null -serial mon:stdio -nographic -dtb BOOT.fs/devicetree.dtb -kernel BOOT.fs/zImage -drive if=sd,format=raw,index=0,file=IMAGE.dd -boot mode=5 -append "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ro rootwait rootfstype=ext4"

The xilinx-v2016.4 branch boots up just fine with the same script.

Any idea what changed between those branches or what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor nanortemis
Visitor

Re: Recent Xilinx Kernel (xilinx-v2017.1) fails to detect SD card in Xilinx QEMU

Yes,

Same here, xilinx-v2016.04 works fine

mmc0: new SDHC card at address 4567
mmcblk0: mmc0:4567 QEMU! 7.40 GiB

but xilinx-v2017.1 does not

Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
mmc0: Skipping voltage switch

Regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor safweneful
Visitor

Re: Recent Xilinx Kernel (xilinx-v2017.1) fails to detect SD card in Xilinx QEMU

After 10 hours of debugging, I found the problem to be in linux-xlnx/drivers/mmc/core/sd.c : the mmc_sd_get_cid() function calls mmc_set_signal_voltage() which always return an error, the modification I did was to set the return code of the function to zero, so that  mmc_sd_get_cid() thinks it succeeded and bam, QEMU now is able to mount the rootfs successfully =).

Please let me reiterate my gratitude for your post, I was desperate and you motivated me to dig deeper.

Safwene Software engineer
0 Kudos