UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Relatively slow performance under Petalinux

Jump to solution

We have two seperate custom designed board using Zynq Ultrascale+ devices (two different size parts).  In one design the Zynq's GEM RGMII interface is connected to a TI DP83867.  The other design we tie direct to a RGMII port on an multiport ethernet switch.  In both cases, we can only get between 180 Mbps and 220 Mbps out of the Zynq Ultrascale+.  We have tried different host computers for testing to insure it isn't any software on the host and given the different phy setups, it leads us to believe it is something on the Linux (Petalinux side).  

We are looking for suggestions on how to speed up the ethernet interfaces under Linux.  Any help would be appreciated.

Both sets of hardware are being tested with Petalinux 2018.3.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Relatively slow performance under Petalinux

Jump to solution

The primary issue was related to a little paid attention to clock setting in Vivado.  The "TIMESTAMP" clock in the clock output sections of Vivado influences the CPU scheduler in Linux.  When changing it from 33.333 MHz to 100 MHz, most of my bandwidth problems were solved. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

A little more info.  Tested using both iperf2 and iperf3 on Petalinux to external computer running iperf2 and iperf3.  

The Zynq Ultrascale+ (with both iperf2 and iperf3) achieves about 200 Mbps on transmit and 400 Mbps on receive.  Still don't know where to look.  Any help would be great.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I have now tested with iperf and the base metal iperf test in the Xilinx SDK.  With the bare metal lwIP TCP tests, I can get around 900 Mbps each direction.  This points to a Linux configuration issue slowing the performance down to 400 Mbps for RX and 200 Mbps for TX.  

Does anyone have suggestions of what in Linux (device tree, some timer, etc) might be causing the performance to degrade that much?

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I assume you don't have lots of sw on that linux. Then my next suspicion would be on buffer size. Imagine your PHY and all the stuff is capable of swallowing close to 1 G as you could wish, is there space for that much between processing slots? If there isn't something may just stall and data rate drops *clunk*

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

The primary issue was related to a little paid attention to clock setting in Vivado.  The "TIMESTAMP" clock in the clock output sections of Vivado influences the CPU scheduler in Linux.  When changing it from 33.333 MHz to 100 MHz, most of my bandwidth problems were solved. 

View solution in original post

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Good to know if I ever run in similar problems

0 Kudos