UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant anupkini
Participant

SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00 , unable to boot linux with ADI reference design

Hi All,

I am trying to boot linux with the ADI reference design for HDMI.

I have taken the latest reference files and using SDK 14.4 to build the BOOT.BIN.

U-Boot 2013.04 (Aug 05 2013 - 14:42:23)

I2C: ready
Memory: ECC disabled
DRAM: 1 GiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
MMC: zynq_sdhci: 0
SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00
*** Warning - spi_flash_probe() failed, using default environment

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: Gem.e000b000
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Copying Linux from SD to RAM...
Device: zynq_sdhci
Manufacturer ID: 1b
OEM: 534d
Name: 00000
Tran Speed: 50000000
Rd Block Len: 512
SD version 3.0
High Capacity: Yes
Capacity: 7.5 GiB
Bus Width: 4-bit
reading uImage
2918616 bytes read in 485 ms (5.7 MiB/s)
reading devicetree.dtb
10091 bytes read in 17 ms (579.1 KiB/s)
reading uramdisk.image.gz
** Unable to read file uramdisk.image.gz **
zynq-uboot>

Let me know if i am going worng somewhere or need to apply some patch for this problem.

Thanks,

Anup.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar rfs613
Scholar

Re: SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00 , unable to boot linux with ADI reference design

Since the kernel (uImage) and device tree appear to be loading fine from the SD, I would not worry too much about the "unsupported manufacturer". The problem seems to be that uramdisk.image.gz is missing from your SD card.

-R

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00 , unable to boot linux with ADI reference design

We had the same problem (on our HW with 7Z020) "SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00". This message indicates that U-Boot failed to detect SF FLASH.

We solved it (did not show again) by connecting Quad SPI Flash Feedback Clk to MIO8 in XPS MIO configuration.

This MIO8 is one of Boot mode pins, used to define MIO I/O bank voltage. On ZED board it is pull-up on our HW it is pull-down.

I don't know details that are behind Quad SPI Flash and Feedback Clk but at least in our case, looks like Feedback Clk needs to be enabled to controller, even if it is connected to fixed pull-up (ZED board) or pull-down (our HW).

In our case the problem was reproducible (Feedback Clk disabled) and never show again after we enabled Feedback Clk and connected it to MI08 pulled-down.

In TRM chapter 12.4.1 the Quad-SPI Feedback Clock and MIO8 pull-up/pull-down are described.

Explorer
Explorer

THANKS worked great Re: SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00 , unable to boot linux with ADI reference design

Dear Primoz_beltram,  Thank you so much for your posting.  Adjusted for our custom board MIO, made a new zynq_fsbl.elf which worked to get rid of the Unsupported manufacturer message, so we get instead,

SF: Detected S25FL129P_64K with page size 64 KiB, total 32 MiB

dogbytes
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: THANKS worked great Re: SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00 , unable to boot linux with ADI reference design

Hi,

I have a similar problem, but in my case, feedback clock is enabled, MIO8 has a 20k pull up to 3.3V (bank 0 voltage is 3.3V and bank 1 voltage is 1.8V, similar to Zed).

I am using Spansion S25FL512SAGMFI011 at 3.3V, which should be supported but is 2-4x the size of the flash on the Zed and Microzed.

My question is, was your problem due to feedback clock being disabled, as well as no pull down (in your case) on MIO8? I ask because whether MIO8 has a pull up or down, should not affect the flash operation, since MIO8 selects whether bank 1 is 2.5/3.3 or 1.8, but, the flash is in bank 0.

No pull up or down on MIO8 should only affect the correct IO setting of bank 1, which is not used for SPI flash and thus shouldn't have anything to do with a QSPI problem.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the function of MIO8?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: THANKS worked great Re: SF: Unsupported manufacturer 00 , unable to boot linux with ADI reference design

Your understanding of MIO8 pin pull-up/down is correct for bank voltage selection.

As I wrote in my previous comment, we do have on HW MIO8 pull-down for proper voltage bank selection (on the other hand ZED board has it pull-up).

The problem was in XPS MIO configuration for QSPI. First we did not have selection (check box unchecked) for QSPI Feedback Clk and have problems with "Unsupported manufacturer 00".

You can have MIO8 pull-up or pull-down for proper bank voltage selection, but(!) in XPS MIO configuration you must check QSPI Feedback Clk.

I think this check box selection is required if you are using *higher rates* QSPI clock. With *low* QSPI clock it might work without selecting this XPS QSPI configuration check box. I did not experiment (verify) further, but it is written in TRM page 313.

Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I must have some other problem since we did have this check box selected, and MIO8 is pulled up (correct for my board, similar to the Zed board). Hopefully I will remember to report back when we figure this out.

Dan
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi all,

My 512Mbit QPSI flash is now working. It turns out that there is a fix required in the FSBL for larger flash:

* 6.00a kc  08/30/13 Fix for CR#722979 - Provide customer-friendly
*                                        changelogs in FSBL
*                    Fix for CR#739711 - FSBL not able to read Large QSPI
*                     (512M) in IO Mode

It appears that the FSBL at the link below does not include this fix since it would not work.:

But there is now a newer release:

Dan

0 Kudos