UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Some basic questions about choosing an OS

Hi all! Please bear with my ignorance, I am not an embedded software engineer although I do have some knowledge and understanding of programming. We have a custom V4FX60 board, which runs under VxWorks. The board design is heavily based on ML403. We are now going to do a similar board based on a V5FXT device. We would like to get rid of a commercial OS for the reasons of cost. The idea was to try using eCos, but an eCos port to PPC440 doesn't seem to exist. I have also just found out from this forum about the Open Source Linux project. So, now I am thinking maybe we should take a closer look at Linux?... Ethernet performance is going to important for us and in fact it is one of the reasons for the upgrade. Our current design uses PLB_TEMAC. The new design will be using XPS_LL_TEMAC. So here are my questions:

1. What is a typical kernel size for Linux build for let's say ML507?

2. How much RAM is required to run it efficiently?

3. I know it's not an eCos forum, but I would appreciate an opinion on how difficult it would be to take an eCos port for ML403 and port it to ML507, perhaps using LL_TEMAC driver from the OSL tree?

4. If you think I should stay away from eCos, can you tell why?

5. Which Linux distribution should I be using for OSL development?

Thanks,

/Mikhail 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Some basic questions about choosing an OS

Hi, 

I m working in the same area, I have to do linux kernel porting in ppc440(virtex-5 ml507).I m new to this .May use help me in this to find how to do this.How to select which Red Hat linux kernel support ppc440, and which edk I have to install for porting.

0 Kudos
Participant vneethv
Participant

ritanagar,

probably this answers your doubts.

http://xilinx.wikidot.com/powerpc-linux

mmatusov,

1. What is a typical kernel size for Linux build for let's say ML507?

we made a not-that-bad-configured kernel of 780KB.u can even make it smaller...!

2. How much RAM is required to run it efficiently?

they say 8MB is more that enough..but i think its better to have atleast 16MB.

3-4 i dont know

5. Which Linux distribution should I be using for OSL development?

use any linux distribution.. for kernel try this - http://xilinx.wikidot.com/powerpc-linux

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks a lot, for the past few days I m expecting for reply but u replied.Its very helpful for me.Once again thanks a lot.

0 Kudos