cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmatusov
Voyager
Voyager

Some basic questions about choosing an OS

Hi all! Please bear with my ignorance, I am not an embedded software engineer although I do have some knowledge and understanding of programming. We have a custom V4FX60 board, which runs under VxWorks. The board design is heavily based on ML403. We are now going to do a similar board based on a V5FXT device. We would like to get rid of a commercial OS for the reasons of cost. The idea was to try using eCos, but an eCos port to PPC440 doesn't seem to exist. I have also just found out from this forum about the Open Source Linux project. So, now I am thinking maybe we should take a closer look at Linux?... Ethernet performance is going to important for us and in fact it is one of the reasons for the upgrade. Our current design uses PLB_TEMAC. The new design will be using XPS_LL_TEMAC. So here are my questions:

1. What is a typical kernel size for Linux build for let's say ML507?

2. How much RAM is required to run it efficiently?

3. I know it's not an eCos forum, but I would appreciate an opinion on how difficult it would be to take an eCos port for ML403 and port it to ML507, perhaps using LL_TEMAC driver from the OSL tree?

4. If you think I should stay away from eCos, can you tell why?

5. Which Linux distribution should I be using for OSL development?

Thanks,

/Mikhail 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi, 

I m working in the same area, I have to do linux kernel porting in ppc440(virtex-5 ml507).I m new to this .May use help me in this to find how to do this.How to select which Red Hat linux kernel support ppc440, and which edk I have to install for porting.

0 Kudos
vneethv
Participant
Participant

ritanagar,

probably this answers your doubts.

http://xilinx.wikidot.com/powerpc-linux

mmatusov,

1. What is a typical kernel size for Linux build for let's say ML507?

we made a not-that-bad-configured kernel of 780KB.u can even make it smaller...!

2. How much RAM is required to run it efficiently?

they say 8MB is more that enough..but i think its better to have atleast 16MB.

3-4 i dont know

5. Which Linux distribution should I be using for OSL development?

use any linux distribution.. for kernel try this - http://xilinx.wikidot.com/powerpc-linux

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks a lot, for the past few days I m expecting for reply but u replied.Its very helpful for me.Once again thanks a lot.

0 Kudos