cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

SysACE device files not beinc created.

Hello all,

I started developing with an ML405 development board and was able to bring Linux up a few months ago.  We now have our custom development board and have been able to get Linux running on this one too.  However, I have a bit of an issue with the sysace driver.

Our boot parameters are as follows: console=ttyS0 root=/dev/xsa2

The RFS is located on the 2nd partition and indeed Linux is able to mount the RFS.  The Compact flash has three partitions and the driver prints this during the boot:

irq: irq 3 on host /plb@0/interrupt-controller@81800000 mapped to virtual irq 18
xsysace 83600000.sysace: Xilinx SystemACE revision 1.0.12
xsysace 83600000.sysace: capacity: 4097520 sectors
 xsa: xsa1 xsa2 xsa3
Xilinx SystemACE device driver, major=254

So the driver is seeing all three partitions.  However, looking in the /dev folder, the device files have not actually been created.  When I was working on the ML405, the device files were automatically created as /dev/xsa1, /dev/xsa2, and /dev/xsa3 respectively.

Can anyone think of why they are not being created for my custom system?  Is there a way to manually create the device files so I can mount the third partition?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Try comparing your .config files, that can help

Regards

Madhubala

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

That's a good point and I have actually done that already.  There are very few differences between the config files, the majority of which revolve around the fact that I was using the LLTEMAC and now I'm using Emac Lite.  The configuration options listed on the wiki, namely CONFIG_XILINX_SYSACE=y, CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y, and CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y are of course the same in both versions of the config.

The device tree file is the same as well:

SysACE_CompactFlash: sysace@83600000 {
            compatible = "xlnx,xps-sysace-1.00.a";
            interrupt-parent = <&xps_intc_0>;
            interrupts = < 2 2 >;
            reg = < 0x83600000 0x10000 >;
            xlnx,family = "virtex4";
            xlnx,mem-width = <0x10>;
        } ;

I find it very confusing that obviously the RFS partition on the compact flash is mounted, but there is no related device file for the partition.

One thing that may be different is that previously I had the RFS mounted through an NFS mount.  But I think that the CF partitions should show up either way.

0 Kudos