UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor skolinux2
Visitor

Taskset in petalinux 2014.2

Jump to solution

Hi

Has anybody got a simple guide to adding taskset into the petalinux 2014.2 rootfs?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor skolinux2
Visitor

Re: Taskset in petalinux 2014.2

Jump to solution

Hi John

I had forgotten to run “make” after your list of instructions so now I have taskset which I have manually copied to the target system. I am sure inserting into the file system will be OK using UG981 and your hints. Thanks again for your help

Best Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't find a way in Petalinux to get the taskset utility (if it's there it's not obvious to me).

I did use buildroot to build my root file system one time (search for taskset in forums) and got to work but it was a bit of a pain honestly and I'd rather add to the root file system than replace it.

In the interest of having other tools like this available I just cross compiled util-linux from https://gitorious.org/util-linux-ng and plan to add the taskset binary to petalinux as a binary only application which is pretty easy.  Petalinux has util-linux in it, but not the taskset utility that I see. I'll let you know if it works, but it should as it cross compiled fine.  Now it's just getting on the rootfs.  

Here's what I did to build it.

./autogen.sh

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/linux-i386/arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/bin

./configure --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi CC=arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi-gcc --without-ncurses

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Yes that worked fine, I just FTPed it to the board to test rather than creating a binary install app in Petalinux, but that is easily done.
0 Kudos
Visitor skolinux2
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi John

Thank you for your quick reply it was very helpful. I have downloaded util-linux to my SUSE development box and followed your build instructions which worked perfectly. What I am not quite sure about is which file or files do I copy over to the Zynq board for testing (I seem to have taskset.1, taskset.Po and taskset.c). Also to get the finished file into the QSPI image I guess I follow the process laid out in UG981?

Thanks for your help

Steve

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you made some progress,  you should have a taskset file that is the binary to be put into the file system.  From your host you should be able to do "file taskset" and it will show you it's an ARM binary.

Yes you can use the UB981 to make an application.  Then I would change the makefile to not build the app, but instead only to copy the prebuilt binary from your build into the root filesystem.  It should be fairly straightforward.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Visitor skolinux2
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi John

I had forgotten to run “make” after your list of instructions so now I have taskset which I have manually copied to the target system. I am sure inserting into the file system will be OK using UG981 and your hints. Thanks again for your help

Best Regards

Steve

0 Kudos