UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U-Boot: bootm and image.ub

My image.ub contains the kernel, flattened device tree, and initramfs per dumpimage -l.

Naively, I tried the following thinking that bootm might know how to read the FIT image:

Zynq> fatload mmc 0 0x01000000 image.ub
Zynq> bootm 0x01000000

The kernal began to boot but then hung at something related to PL DMA.

I've seen the form:

Zynq> bootm <address_kernel> - <address_dtb>

I've been reading UG1144 which is pretty good but somehow I missed the detail on how to actually use image.ub. Are there U-Boot command to pull things out of image.ub, place them in memory, and then call bootm with three arguments to specify where those pieces were loaded? Or was I kind of on the right track expecting bootm to figure things out from the FIT format?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: U-Boot: bootm and image.ub

Hi kenny@stealthspacecompany.com 

Can you please try bootm <image.ub address> ?

if still hangs, please share the console logs

Best Regards
Kranthi
--------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

It turned out that the system was hanging because the FPGA was not configured. I'm bringing stuff up for the first time on Zynq and thought I'd put that on hold while I was getting the FSL, U-Boot, and Linux booting. Obviously that cost me.

It's not clear to me why it would hang or why the DMA has been instantiated in the PL (we didn't explicitly instantiate it) but at least I can move forward.

0 Kudos

You could be using an IP subsystem that contains DMA, like AXI  Ethernet 

If you want to bring up linux without bitstream, then you could select the remove pl option in the dtg settings in petalinux-config.

You could go further and use device tree overlays. You would need to create a pl.dtbo, and use fpga manager to load bit and dtbo

0 Kudos