Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mirek23
Visitor
Visitor

U-boot Env variables on Compact Flash

Dear All,

I am using successfully U-boot for many years. So far I was dealing with the system which has the Flash memory on board.
The u-boot binary and u-boot (environmet variables) config parameters were stored in Flash.

Currently I am dealing with the new board which has Xilinx Virtex05 chip (with built in powerPC) and Compact Flash instead of Flash memory chip. Compact Flash is interfaced with the system by means of System ACE "interface".

Compact Flash has few partitions (ie. FAT and EXT2).
Is it possible to configure u-boot to access (ie. read/write) u-boot parameters which are on Compact Flash as a file?

I will be grateful for any hint

M.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which board are you using?

0 Kudos
mirek23
Visitor
Visitor

I am using custom designed board at my lab.

M.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I haven't used it, but I do see a system ace file in the u-boot source (at git.xilinx.com) drivers/block directory. The comments in the file say:

"The Xilinx SystemACE chip support is activated by defining CONFIG_SYSTEMACE to turn on support"

So that doesn't really answer your question, but my gut tells me it's supported.. You'll just need to dig in a little and see if you can get it configured..  I suspect someone else will chime in here and let you know if  it should work.

0 Kudos
mirek23
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for your hint. U-Boot does support an interface for FAT file system but only with the respect to read files but not to write to them.  Wolfgang Denk has given me an idea to use IDE interface when dealing with System ACE Compact Flash.

This solution requires additional (small) partition on a Compact Flash to be accessible as "raw data" by means of ide read/write command in u-boot.

M. 

0 Kudos