UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UCLinux, Microblaze and USB(HOST)

Hello.

I need some information on how to correlate UCLinux, Microblaze and USB(HOST).

I don't know anything about UCLinux and USB(HOST).

If anyone of you can provide information about those things and from where to start it will be highly beneficial for me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: UCLinux, Microblaze and USB(HOST)

We recommend some books on our wiki at http://xilinx.wikidot.com/open-source-linux.

I personally would recommend becoming familiar with Linux in general like using the Xilinx PowerPC solution. 

Thanks.

Recommended Books

• Embedded Linux Primer from Prentice Hall, by Hallinan
  • Building Embedded Linux Systems from OReilly, by Yaghmour (I think this might be available for download as open source?)
0 Kudos

Hello.

Thanks very much John for the supplied information. I will look into the matter provided by you.

Lets keep aside USB host for the time being.

Keeping in mind Microblaze or PPC and UCLinux what i wanted to know was like (Questions may sound silly :) )

1. How much Xilkernel and UCLinux resemble each other and in what ways they are different.

2. If i go for UCLinux then whether i will be able to work with windows or i have to shift completely to Linux platform.

3. There is a direct support provided by petalogix. How much it is beneficial.

4. What should be my basic and Minimum Hardware requirements.

If possible please reply to me point by point to my questions.

Thanks and best regards.

Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. let's just say they are VERY different - xilkernel is not linux-like, it's a minimal OS that supports multiple tasks  - you need to decide what your needs are (i.e. networking, filesystem, applications, etc, etc)  first to determine if xilkernel will work for you or if you need something as full-featured as linux.

2. you will most likely need to switch to linux  (or use an emulator such as vmware) - not sure what the state of cygwin support is for petalinux. 

3. For a newbie, the support and tools provided by petalogix will be invaluable. It is small price to pay to have a working system up and running quickly. 

4. For the target or the host?

0 Kudos

Hello.

Thanks for the quick reply.

By minimum harware requirements i mean on my FPGA Board side.

What should be the interfaces that my board has to have in order to run the above mentioned system successfully.

Also keeping in mind the OS and Stack.

Message Edited by prateek_bhatt on 11-30-2009 10:34 AM
Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

You haven't mentioned anything about what the system will be used for or needs except for USB and microblaze..   At a minimum, you'll need a timer, interrupt controller and  a serial port.  For linux you'll most likely need external SDRAM.  You may or may not need ethernet.   You can find a representative hardware system at xilinx.wikidot.com. 

0 Kudos

Actually the system would be like suppose if i insert a pen drive to my FPGA board then i should be able to read and write into it.

So my USB(on board) acts as a host to which a pen drive will be connected as slave.

For this only i mentioned at the very beginning UCLinux, Microblaze and USB (Host).

Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos

Hello Prabeet

prateek_bhatt wrote:

Actually the system would be like suppose if i insert a pen drive to my FPGA board then i should be able to read and write into it.

So my USB(on board) acts as a host to which a pen drive will be connected as slave.

For this only i mentioned at the very beginning UCLinux, Microblaze and USB (Host).

PetaLinux SDK 1.1 (officially launched next week) supports the Xilinx USB host IP.  We have customers using this IP and driver in their designs, mounting USB flash drives and so on.

The Xilinx  USB host IP is a great solution because it uses the low pin count ULPI interface to any industry standard USB PHY chipset, saving pins and board area.  I'm not personally a fan of the Cypress C67X00 chips that have been used in the past, performance was generally terrible due to lack of DMA transfer between the MicroBlaze and the Cypress part, and they were quite fiddly to setup on custom boards, requiring custom firmware and so on.

You can read more about Petalinux here:

http://www.petalogix.com/petalinux

or feel free to email me directly - john.williams@petalogix.com

Regards,

John

0 Kudos