Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

UG980 - Cannot run petalinux-config

Jump to solution

I am currently trying to follow the UG980 tutorial on board bring-up with Petalinux but it isn't working properly. I created a Vivado project and exported it for SDK as well as creating a FSBL and BSP for Petalinux just like the tutorial said to. I then created a Petalinux project but when I try to perform the command for configuring the project based on the BSP it gives me the following error:

[dgronlund@localhost petalinux_bsp_0]$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p /home/dgronlund/Documents/petalinux_zynq_test/
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Getting hardware description...
INFO: Using MSS file /home/dgronlund/Desktop/Downloads/petalinux_bsp_0/system.mss and XML file /home/dgronlund/Desktop/Downloads/petalinux_bsp_0/../hw_platform_0/system.xml
INFO: Copy autoconfig for PetaLinux project: /home/dgronlund/Documents/petalinux_zynq_test
INFO: /home/dgronlund/Desktop/Downloads/petalinux_bsp_0/system.mss is a dos format file - continuing
INFO: BSP files missing - regenerating...
Finished building libraries
ERROR: Failed
ERROR: auto-config file or device tree does not exist for CPU ps7_cortexa9_0 in project .
ERROR: Confirm you have completed the EDK system build process.
ERROR: Failed to sync up hardware description!
sh: lsb_release: command not found

I am currently running the Petalinux tools on Centos, which is operating inside of VMWare. Vivado and SDK are both running on the host Windows Machine and I am currently using shared folders to communicate SDK with Petalinux. Is the error that I am seeing related to my Petalinux project being setup incorrectly or is it related to the BSP that I created?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: UG980 - Cannot run petalinux-config

Jump to solution
Creating a PetaLinux project is a two-step process.

First, create the PROJECT with the "petalinux-create -t project" command. If you are creating a "from scratch" project, just the -t (for type) and -n (for name) are needed. If you're using one of the pre-built PetaLinux BSP's, then use the -s flag (for source)

Next, you have to populate the project. If you're bringing in custom hardware from an XPS HW platform, this is done with "petalinux-config --get-hw-description". If you're using a BSP, this step is already done and you just "cd" into the right directory and start working.

Don't forget that you can get verbose on-screen help information by doing any petalinux-* command with the --help flag.
-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
You have to do it from 'petalinux_bsp project' folder and point to your 'petalinux_app' project: cd petalinux_bsp_amp/ petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p ../AMP-Demo/ AMP-Demo is my PetaLinux project, petalinux_bps_amp - my PetaLinux BSP project.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

What is my Petalinux project bsp folder? How is that different from the folder that contains the bsp I generated with the SDK or the project folder that I created with "petalinux-create --project"? Aren't I currently running the command from the "petalinux_bsp_0" folder?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Creating a PetaLinux project is a two-step process.

First, create the PROJECT with the "petalinux-create -t project" command. If you are creating a "from scratch" project, just the -t (for type) and -n (for name) are needed. If you're using one of the pre-built PetaLinux BSP's, then use the -s flag (for source)

Next, you have to populate the project. If you're bringing in custom hardware from an XPS HW platform, this is done with "petalinux-config --get-hw-description". If you're using a BSP, this step is already done and you just "cd" into the right directory and start working.

Don't forget that you can get verbose on-screen help information by doing any petalinux-* command with the --help flag.
-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

I did all of that but it is still giving me the same error. I did generate the BSP inside of XSDK on Windows and then copied it over to the Linux image with the PetaLinux tools, so could there be some cross-platform compatability issues?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

I did everything inside of Linux this time and I fixed the problem. Apparently PetaLinux won't read some of the files correctly if they had been generated inside of Windows.

0 Kudos