UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dagronlund
Visitor

UG980 - Cannot run petalinux-config

Jump to solution

I am currently trying to follow the UG980 tutorial on board bring-up with Petalinux but it isn't working properly. I created a Vivado project and exported it for SDK as well as creating a FSBL and BSP for Petalinux just like the tutorial said to. I then created a Petalinux project but when I try to perform the command for configuring the project based on the BSP it gives me the following error:

[dgronlund@localhost petalinux_bsp_0]$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p /home/dgronlund/Documents/petalinux_zynq_test/
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Getting hardware description...
INFO: Using MSS file /home/dgronlund/Desktop/Downloads/petalinux_bsp_0/system.mss and XML file /home/dgronlund/Desktop/Downloads/petalinux_bsp_0/../hw_platform_0/system.xml
INFO: Copy autoconfig for PetaLinux project: /home/dgronlund/Documents/petalinux_zynq_test
INFO: /home/dgronlund/Desktop/Downloads/petalinux_bsp_0/system.mss is a dos format file - continuing
INFO: BSP files missing - regenerating...
Finished building libraries
ERROR: Failed
ERROR: auto-config file or device tree does not exist for CPU ps7_cortexa9_0 in project .
ERROR: Confirm you have completed the EDK system build process.
ERROR: Failed to sync up hardware description!
sh: lsb_release: command not found

I am currently running the Petalinux tools on Centos, which is operating inside of VMWare. Vivado and SDK are both running on the host Windows Machine and I am currently using shared folders to communicate SDK with Petalinux. Is the error that I am seeing related to my Petalinux project being setup incorrectly or is it related to the BSP that I created?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: UG980 - Cannot run petalinux-config

Jump to solution
Creating a PetaLinux project is a two-step process.

First, create the PROJECT with the "petalinux-create -t project" command. If you are creating a "from scratch" project, just the -t (for type) and -n (for name) are needed. If you're using one of the pre-built PetaLinux BSP's, then use the -s flag (for source)

Next, you have to populate the project. If you're bringing in custom hardware from an XPS HW platform, this is done with "petalinux-config --get-hw-description". If you're using a BSP, this step is already done and you just "cd" into the right directory and start working.

Don't forget that you can get verbose on-screen help information by doing any petalinux-* command with the --help flag.
-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
5 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
You have to do it from 'petalinux_bsp project' folder and point to your 'petalinux_app' project: cd petalinux_bsp_amp/ petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p ../AMP-Demo/ AMP-Demo is my PetaLinux project, petalinux_bps_amp - my PetaLinux BSP project.
0 Kudos
Visitor dagronlund
Visitor

Jump to solution

What is my Petalinux project bsp folder? How is that different from the folder that contains the bsp I generated with the SDK or the project folder that I created with "petalinux-create --project"? Aren't I currently running the command from the "petalinux_bsp_0" folder?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Creating a PetaLinux project is a two-step process.

First, create the PROJECT with the "petalinux-create -t project" command. If you are creating a "from scratch" project, just the -t (for type) and -n (for name) are needed. If you're using one of the pre-built PetaLinux BSP's, then use the -s flag (for source)

Next, you have to populate the project. If you're bringing in custom hardware from an XPS HW platform, this is done with "petalinux-config --get-hw-description". If you're using a BSP, this step is already done and you just "cd" into the right directory and start working.

Don't forget that you can get verbose on-screen help information by doing any petalinux-* command with the --help flag.
-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
Visitor dagronlund
Visitor

Jump to solution

I did all of that but it is still giving me the same error. I did generate the BSP inside of XSDK on Windows and then copied it over to the Linux image with the PetaLinux tools, so could there be some cross-platform compatability issues?

0 Kudos
Visitor dagronlund
Visitor

Jump to solution

I did everything inside of Linux this time and I fixed the problem. Apparently PetaLinux won't read some of the files correctly if they had been generated inside of Windows.

0 Kudos