UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor daletxy
Visitor

USB 3.0 device mode as ethernet gadget speed only 280Mbps

Jump to solution

I'm using petalink 2017.4 with Trenz Electronic TE0808-04-09EG-1EE (https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/TE0808-04-09EG-1EE-UltraSOM-MPSoC-Modul-with-Zynq-UltraScale-XCZU9EG-1FFVC900E-4-GB-DDR4).  We use the USB3 interface on the board as USB RNDIS device, via USB 3.0 cable(USB3.0 A Male to A Male), connect to PC USB3.0, software configure followed ethernet gadget part in

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq%20Ultrascale%20MPSOC%20Linux%20USB%20device%20driver

The good news is it works, we can send data via socket between PC and board. 

Issue:

The transmission speed  could only reach 280Mbps, had big gap between the official data 761.6 Mbits/sec stated in above link.  When we use host mode, connect a usb ethernet adpater, speed can reach to 800Mbps.  All the speed data was tested by iperf.

Does anyone know what's the problem?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: USB 3.0 device mode as ethernet gadget speed only 280Mbps

Jump to solution

HI Daletxy,

For Testing the Ethernet for performance, there are some changes to be done in the linux kernel drivers. And test with different MTU sizes.

Kernel Driver Changes

Please apply below patches to the kernel before compiling the kernel.

0001-Change-bMaxBurst-and-qlen-to-the-highest-number.patch

This patch will increase the value of "bMaxBurst" and "buffer queue length" to the highest value to match our hardware's capability.

I will share the screenshots for your reference, that will help you in kernel configuration and testing procedure.

Let me know your official mail id, so that i can share the patch to you.

Thanks & Regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Visitor daletxy
Visitor

Jump to solution

Today we used zcu102 development board to re-test the usb ethernet(RNDIS) speed, it was only around 280Mbps as well.  In this case, we used a USB3.0 port in PC side.  We also changed USB port in PC side, to USB 3.0, always 280Mbps; to USB3.1, around 580Mbps; to USB 2.0, 310Mbps.  The result is so weird.

Out test PC OS is Windows 10, zcu102 board side uses petalinux 2017.4 version, test tool is iperf3.  On zcu102 board side, we exactly followed steps according to

Ethernet Gadget part of

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq%20Ultrascale%20MPSOC%20Linux%20USB%20device%20driver

But according to the above,  speed is quite different, below is the official test results:

Iperf tool (TCP)

ModeSpeed
USB 3.0 (Super Speed)761.6 Mbits/sec
USB 2.0 (High Speed)467.2 Mbits/sec

Iperf tool (UDP)

ModeSpeed
USB 3.0 (Super Speed)761.6 Mbits/sec
USB 2.0 (High Speed)

467.2 Mbits/sec

Does anyone use RNDIS before?  Could anyone help on this issue?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI Daletxy,

For Testing the Ethernet for performance, there are some changes to be done in the linux kernel drivers. And test with different MTU sizes.

Kernel Driver Changes

Please apply below patches to the kernel before compiling the kernel.

0001-Change-bMaxBurst-and-qlen-to-the-highest-number.patch

This patch will increase the value of "bMaxBurst" and "buffer queue length" to the highest value to match our hardware's capability.

I will share the screenshots for your reference, that will help you in kernel configuration and testing procedure.

Let me know your official mail id, so that i can share the patch to you.

Thanks & Regards

Aravind

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Visitor daletxy
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks Aravind.

We followed your guide and the speed can reach up to 900Mbps~1Gbps. It's perfect.

0 Kudos
Visitor motish5
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello

We have an exactly same issue (but with 2018.2)

the patch of the increasing BefLen make the kernel an exception, We work with mtu1500

Can you send us the guide you sent them? (Screenshots?)

Thanks

Moti

0 Kudos
Visitor rezatoune
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello ,

I'm having the same problem. I've already implemented the modifications of the PATCH but it still presents the same performance (295Mbps), could you please send me the screenshots ?

Also, based on the replies from https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/USB-Ethernet-Gadget-Interface-Performances-on-a-ZCU106/td-p/901482, I've tried to increase the MTU to 15300, but I've got the following message :

usb0: Invalid MTU 15300 requested, hw max 1500

Thank you

0 Kudos