UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant tuanho27
Participant

USB ZC706 driver not found (/dev/videoX)

Jump to solution

Hello,

I 've tried to implement a linux OS on ZC706 (with support HDMI), it works

Then I successfully finished to setup OpenCV on that OS, however, when I try to capture video from the camera via USB port (using v4l lib), it does not work.

I checked and found that there are not have /dev/videoX for stream data.

Here is the tutorials that I follow:

https://wiki.analog.com/resources/fpga/xilinx/kc705/adv7511

http://fpga.org/2013/05/24/yet-another-guide-to-running-linaro-ubuntu-desktop-on-xilinx-zynq-on-the-zedboard/

https://medium.com/developments-and-implementations-on-zynq-7000-ap/interfacing-a-usb-webcam-and-enable-usb-tethering-on-zynq-7000-ap-soc-running-linux-1ba6d836749d

Back to the boot process, it notices that: usb "device descriptor read/64, error -71"  even I try to config the kernel and the device tree exactly as the tutorials

I have tried with Petelinux 2015,2016,2017; linux repo from ADI; 

Here is a part of the device tree:

&gem0 {
phy-handle = <&phy0>;
ps7_ethernet_0_mdio: mdio {
#address-cells = <1>;
#size-cells = <0>;
phy0: phy@7 {
device_type = "ethernet-phy";
reg = <7>;
};
};
};
/{
usb_phy0: usb_phy@0 {
compatible = "ulpi-phy";
#phy-cells = <0>;
reg = <0xe0002000 0x1000>;
view-port = <0x0170>;
drv-vbus;
};
};
&usb0 {
dr_mode = "host";
usb-phy = <&usb_phy0>;
};

Anyone has the same problem, please help!

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant tuanho27
Participant

Re: USB ZC706 driver not found (/dev/videoX)

Jump to solution

Hello, I figured out the way to overcome this. Just want to share for everyone who encounters the same issues, hope it helps

Actually, I think the power supply for the camera is not enough or something even I try to change the jumper just like the technical manual, I honestly don't know exactly the reasons, but after I buy a USB hub and connect the camera via that hub, it works.

Before that, if you do not have a hub, try this (it also works for me before trying with hub USB): 

$ sudo mknod /dev/video0 c 81 0
$ sudo chown root.video /dev/usb/video*

Ref: https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Webcam-HOWTO/dev-intro.html

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @tuanho27

I have not tried this , but I can see the device tree changes built for host mode only, can you modify device tree changes for peripheral mode and try.

&usb0 {
dr_mode = "peripheral";
usb-phy = <&usb_phy0>;
};

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Participant tuanho27
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @aravindb,

Thank you for your reply, I've tried but it does not work.

However, because I want to stream video from my camera to ARM core, I think the setting "host" mode is 

right, isn't it? 

By the way, sometimes I think why Xilinx does not fully support these kinds of configurations :) or even just a clear document. I want to config this ASAP so that I can focus my time on the FPGA design but I cannot find a good tutorial for setting up the USB webcam drivers. Maybe I am not the expert in the embedded field. 

But is there any other suggestions? Maybe some of you overcome this situation before, could you share? 

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant tuanho27
Participant

Jump to solution

Hello, I figured out the way to overcome this. Just want to share for everyone who encounters the same issues, hope it helps

Actually, I think the power supply for the camera is not enough or something even I try to change the jumper just like the technical manual, I honestly don't know exactly the reasons, but after I buy a USB hub and connect the camera via that hub, it works.

Before that, if you do not have a hub, try this (it also works for me before trying with hub USB): 

$ sudo mknod /dev/video0 c 81 0
$ sudo chown root.video /dev/usb/video*

Ref: https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Webcam-HOWTO/dev-intro.html

Thanks

0 Kudos